- •The severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)/COVID-19 pandemic has placed considerable strain on diagnostic laboratories and driven considerable innovation in viral diagnostic assays.
- •Multiple novel technologies, or novel adaptations of existing assays, have been developed that may contribute to diagnostic testing for COVID-19 and eventually other infectious diseases as well.
- •Novel approaches to providing at-home or point-of-care diagnostic testing for infectious diseases may improve patient care and public health efforts.
Efficiency enhancing adaptations for molecular testing
- Griesemer S.B.
- Van Slyke G.
- St George K.
Variant targeting polymerase chain reaction
- Ziegler K.
- Steininger P.
- Ziegler R.
- et al.
- Wollschlager P.
- Todt D.
- Gerlitz N.
- et al.
Reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction assays targeting replication intermediates
- Truong T.T.
- Ryutov A.
- Pandey U.
- et al.
- Vanaerschot M.
- Mann S.A.
- Webber J.T.
- et al.
- Tahan S.
- Parikh B.A.
- Droit L.
- et al.
- Harrington D.
- Kele B.
- Pereira S.
- et al.
- Lee J.S.
- Kim S.Y.
- Kim T.S.
- et al.
Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats-associated–based diagnostic testing for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
- Ning B.
- Yu T.
- Zhang S.
- et al.
- Arnaout R.
- Lee R.A.
- Lee G.R.
- et al.
Microfluidic assays for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
- Assessment of sample pooling for clinical SARS-CoV-2 testing.J Clin Microbiol. 2021; 59https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.01261-20
- Assessment of specimen pooling to conserve SARS CoV-2 testing resources.Am J Clin Pathol. 2020; 153: 715-718
- Massive and rapid COVID-19 testing is feasible by extraction-free SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR.Nat Commun. 2020; 11: 4812
- Implementation of an extraction-free COVID RT-PCR workflow in a pediatric hospital setting.J Appl Lab Med. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1093/jalm/jfab079
- Why are RNA virus mutation rates so damn high?.Plos Biol. 2018; 16e3000003https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.3000003
- SARS-CoV-2 samples may escape detection because of a single point mutation in the N gene.Euro Surveill. 2020; 25https://doi.org/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.39.2001650
- SARS-CoV-2 N gene dropout and N gene Ct value shift as indicator for the presence of B.1.1.7 lineage in a commercial multiplex PCR assay.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmi.2021.05.025
- Enhancing readiness for Omicron (B.1.1.529): technical brief and priority actions for member states. World Health Organization.(Available at:)https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/enhancing-readiness-for-omicron-(b.1.1.529)-technical-brief-and-priority-actions-for-member-statesDate: 2021
- Implications of the emergence and spread of the SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1. 529 variant of concern (Omicron) for the EU/EEA. European Center for Disease Prevention and Control.(Available at:)https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/Implications-emergence-spread-SARS-CoV-2%20B.1.1.529-variant-concern-Omicron-for-the-EU-EEA-Nov2021.pdfDate: 2021
- Multiplex qPCR discriminates variants of concern to enhance global surveillance of SARS-CoV-2.Plos Biol. 2021; 19: e3001236
- Shedding of viable SARS-CoV-2 after immunosuppressive therapy for cancer.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 2586-2588
- Can testing predict SARS-CoV-2 infectivity? The potential for certain methods to be a surrogate for replication-competent virus.J Clin Microbiol. 2021; 4: JCM0046921https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.00469-21
- Virological assessment of hospitalized patients with COVID-2019.Nature. 2020; 581: 465-469
- Evaluation of the mRNA-1273 vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 in nonhuman primates.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1544-1555
- SARS-CoV-2 virus culture and subgenomic RNA for respiratory specimens from patients with mild coronavirus disease.Emerg Infect Dis. 2020; 26: 2701-2704
- ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine prevents SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in rhesus macaques.Nature. 2020; 586: 578-582
- DNA vaccine protection against SARS-CoV-2 in rhesus macaques.Science. 2020; 369: 806-811
- Increased viral variants in children and young adults with impaired humoral immunity and persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection: a consecutive case series.EBioMedicine. 2021; 67: 103355https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ebiom.2021.103355
- Duration and key determinants of infectious virus shedding in hospitalized patients with coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19).Nat Commun. 2021; 12: 267
- SARS-CoV-2 genomic and subgenomic RNAs in diagnostic samples are not an indicator of active replication.Nat Commun. 2020; 11: 6059
- Strand-specific reverse transcription PCR for detection of replicating SARS-CoV-2.Emerg Infect Dis. 2021; 27: 632-635
- A novel coronavirus from patients with pneumonia in China, 2019.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 727-733
- Identification of a polymorphism in the N gene of SARS-CoV-2 that adversely impacts detection by reverse transcription-PCR.J Clin Microbiol. 2020; 59https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.02369-20
- SARS-CoV-2 N gene mutations impact detection by clinical molecular diagnostics: reports in two cities in the United States.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2021; 101: 115468
- SARS-CoV-2 E gene variant alters analytical sensitivity characteristics of viral detection using a commercial reverse transcription-PCR assay.J Clin Microbiol. 2021; 59: e0007521https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.00075-21
- Phylogenetic analysis of SARS-CoV-2 in Boston highlights the impact of superspreading events.Sci. 2021; 371
- Confirmed reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 variant VOC-202012/01.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciab014
- Evidence of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 reinfection after recovery from mild coronavirus disease 2019.Clin Infect Dis. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa1421
- Vaccine breakthrough infections with SARS-CoV-2 variants.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 2212-2218
- Persistence and evolution of SARS-CoV-2 in an immunocompromised host.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 2291-2293
- New COVID-19 variant detected in South Africa. National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD).(Available at:)
- Collaboration between clinical and academic laboratories for sequencing SARS-CoV-2 genomes.J Clin Microbiol. 2022; : JCM0128821https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.01288-21
- CRISPR-Cas guides the future of genetic engineering.Science. 2018; 361: 866-869
- Nucleic acid detection with CRISPR-Cas13a/C2c2.Science. 2017; 356: 438-442
- Detection of SARS-CoV-2 with SHERLOCK one-pot testing.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1492-1494
- Amplification-free detection of SARS-CoV-2 with CRISPR-Cas13a and mobile phone microscopy.Cell. 2021; 184: 323-333 e9
- A smartphone-read ultrasensitive and quantitative saliva test for COVID-19.Sci Adv. 2021; 7https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.abe3703
- The limit of detection matters: the case for benchmarking severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 testing.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa1382
- High-throughput CRISPR-Cas13 SARS-CoV-2 test.Clin Chem. 2021; 68: 172-180
- Diagnosing infections--current and anticipated technologies for point-of-care diagnostics and home-based testing.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2010; 16: 1044-1053
- Microfluidics-based diagnostics of infectious diseases in the developing world.Nat Med. 2011; 17: 1015-1019
- Electric field-driven microfluidics for rapid CRISPR-based diagnostics and its application to detection of SARS-CoV-2.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020; 117: 29518-29525
All authors contributed equally.