This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Techniques to diagnose developing or frank deficiency of essential fatty acids are explored. EFA deficiency generally is secondary to another disease process or occurs as a side effect of treatment of another disease, such as the long-term administration of fat-free parenteral infusions in patients who cannot eat.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Essential fatty acids.Physiol. Rev. 1968; 48: 758
- Integrated approach to plasma and lipoprotein analysis.in: Nelson G.J. Blood Lipids and Lipoproteins: Quantitation, Composition and Metabolism. R. E. Krieger Publishing Co., Inc., New York1972: 275
- A new deficiency disease produced by the rigid exclusion of fat from the diet.J. Biol. Chem. 1929; 82: 345
- Pathogenesis and frequency of essential fatty acid deficiency during total parenteral nutrition.Ann. Intern. Med. 1975; 83: 895
- Essential fatty acid deficiency due to artificial diet in cystic fibrosis.Br. Med. J. 1975; 2: 192
- Human erythrocyte phosphoglycerides. I. Quantification of plasmalogens, fatty acids and fatty aldehydes.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1962; 50: 80
- Essential fatty acid deficiency after prolonged treatment with elemental diet.Lancet. 1980; 2: 1088
- A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissue.J. Biol. Chem. 1957; 226: 497
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids in low-birth-weight infant.Semin. Perinatol. 1979; 3: 341
- Rapid microdetermination of fatty acids in biological materials by gas-liquid chromatography.J. Chromatogr. 1977; 143: 335
- Mediators of immediate hypersensitivity derived from arachidonic acid.N. Engl. J. Med. 1980; 303: 822
- Reaction gas chromatography and fatty acids.J. Chromatogr. Sei. 1975; 13: 514
- Nutritional disorders.in: Rechcigl Jr., M. CRC Handbook Series in Nutrition and Food, Vol. 3, Section E. CRC Press, West Palm Beach, Florida1978: 335
- Essential fatty acid deficiency.in: Progress in the Chemistry of Fats and Other Lipids. Vol. 9. Pergamon Press, New York1971: 275
- Essential fatty acids in human nutrition.Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 1977; 83: 515
- The ratio of trienoic:tetranoic acids in tissue lipids as a measure of essential fatty acid requirement.J. Nutr. 1960; 70: 405
- Effect of sex and age on fatty acid composition of human serum lipids.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1979; 32: 2390
- A biochemical basis for alcoholism and alcohol-induced damage including the fet al alcohol syndrome and cirrhosis: Interference with essential fatty acid and prostaglandin metabolism.Med. Hypotheses. 1980; 6: 929
- Interactions between zinc, essential fatty acids and prostaglandins: Relevance to acrodermatitis enteropathica, total parenteral nutrition, the glucagonoma syndrome, diabetes, anorexia nervosa and sickle cell anemia.Med. Hypothesis. 1980; 6: 277
Johnson, P. V.: Basic lipid methodology. Special publication 19, Collete of Agriculture, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, January 1971.
- Separation of long and short chain fatty acids as naphthacyl and substituted phenacyl esters by high performance liquid chromatography.J. Liquid Chromatogr. 1978; 1: 215
- Handbook of Lipid Research, Vol. 1: Fatty Acids and Glycerides.Plenum Press, New York1978: 132
- Essential fatty acid status in cystic fibrosis and the effects of safflower oil supplementation.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1981; 34: 1
- Preparation of methyl esters from the saponifiable fatty acids in small biological specimens for gas-liquid chromatographic analysis.J. Chromatogr. 1974; 100: 35
- Lipid Chromatographic Analysis, Vols. 1 and 2.Marcel Dekker Inc., New York1967
- The relationship of dietary fats to prostaglandin biosynthesis.Lipids. 1979; 14: 247
- The rapid preparation of fatty acid esters for gas chromatographic analysis.Anal. Chem. 1961; 33: 363
- Preparation of fatty acid esters and dimethylacet als from lipids with boron trifluoride-methanol.J. Lipid Res. 1964; 5: 600
- Cell membranes: Composition, structure as well as function.J. Theor. Biol. 1967; 15: 307
- Essential fatty acid deficiency in surgical patients.Ann. Surg. 1977; 185: 535
- Role of arachidonic acid derivatives in neutrophil aggregation: A hypothesis.Prostaglandins. 1979; 17: 915
- Enhancement by prostaglandin E1 and essential fatty acid deficiency of the passive transfer of delayed hypersensitivity to PPD in rats. Comparison with effects on delayed hypersensitivity to SRBC in mice.J. Immunopharmacol. 1979; 1: 119
- Essential fatty acid deficiency in infants receiving parenteral nutrition.J. Pediatr. Surg. 1978; 13: 393
- Diagnosis and treatment of essential fatty acid deficiency in man.Br. Med. J. 1974; 2: 247
- Studies of the lipids of the erythrocyte. I. Quantitative analysis of the lipids of normal human red blood cells.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1960; 56: 281
- Essential fatty acid deficiency in human adults during total parenteral nutrition.Ann. Intern. Med. 1972; 83: 786
- Direct transesterification of lipids in mammalian tissue for fatty acid analysis via dehydration with 2,2’-demethoxypropane.J. Lipid Res. 1977; 13: 540
- Analysis of long-chain fatty acids by gas-liquid chromatography.Anal. Chem. 1959; 31: 307
- Distribution and fatty acid composition of phosphoglycerides in normal human brain.J. Lipid Res. 1968; 9: 570
- Pathogenesis and treatment of pancreatitis due to essential fatty acid deficiency.Gastroenterol. Jpn. 1977; 12: 483
- Preparation of methyl esters of fatty acids for gas-liquid chromatography.Anal. Chem. 1961; 33: 1512
- The development of essential fatty acid deficiency in healthy men fed fat-free diets intravenously and orally.J. Clin. Invest. 1975; 56: 127
- Factors influencing essential fatty acid requirement in total parenteral nutrition (TPN).J.P.E.N. 1978; 2: 634
- Linoleic acid in serum of patients with an acute serious illness.Nutr. Metab. 1977; 21: 127
- Essential fatty acid deficiency.Prog. Lipid Res. 1981; 19: 187
© 1981 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.