Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
- Quoted in McNeil, B. J., Keeler, E., and Edelstein, S. J.: Primer on certain elements of medical decision making.N. Engl. J. Med. 1975; 293: 211
- Newman’s “Grammer of Assent” and the diagnostic process.Perspect. Biol. Med. 1982; 25: 472
- A proposal for a department of pathology improvement program.Pathologist. 1981; 35: 92
- Mathematical approaches to the analysis of laboratory data.in: Stefanini M. Benson E.S. Progress in Clinical Pathology. Vol. 8. Grune & Stratton, New York1981: 67
- Computer-aided diagnosis of cardiovascular disorders.J. Chron. Dis. 1966; 19: 473
- The communication of uncertainty.In Annual Conference on Research in Medical Education. 1979; 18: 205
- Iatral, not iatrogenic.N. Engl. J. Med. 1976; 294: 1298
- Clinical science.Clin. Sei. 1976; 51: 1
- The concept of disease.Br. Med. J. 1979; 2: 757
- Interpretation by physicians of clinical laboratory results.N. Engl. J. Med. 1978; 299: 999
- Chess and combat: The algorithm in medicine.J.A.M.A. 1977; 238: 2721
- Group selection as the basis for higher brain function.in: Schmitt F.O. The Organization of the Cerebral Cortex. MIT Press, Cambridge1981: 535
- Through a computer darkly: Group selection and higher brain function.Bull. Am. Acad. Arts Sei. 1982; 36: 20
- The Mindful Brain.MIT Press, Cambridge1978
- Selective networks capable of representative transformations, limited generalizations, and associative memory.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sei. 1982; 79: 2091
- Flow charts, diagnostic keys, and algorithms in the diagnosis of dysphagia.Scot. Med. J. 1970; 15: 378
- Medical Problem Solving: An Analysis of Clinical Reasoning.Harvard University Press, Cambridge1978
- Medical diagnosis: Present, past and future.Arch. Intern. Med. 1963; 112 (520, 530): 512
- Clinical biostatistics XXXIX, the haze of Bayes, the aerial palaces of decision analysis and the computerized Ouija board.Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 1977; 21: 482
- An analysis of diagnostic reasonsing. II. The strategy of intermediate decisions.Yale J. Biol. Med. 1973; 46: 264
- An analysis of diagnostic reasoning. III. The construction of clinical algorithms.Yale J. Biol. Med. 1974; 47: 5
- Boolean algebra and clinical taxonomy.N. Engl. J. Med. 1963; 269: 929
- Clinical Judgment.Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore1967
- The hazards of bedside Bayes.J.A.M.A. 1981; 246: 2602
- Is pK OK?.N. Engl. J. Med. 1982; 306: 864
- Functional architecture of macaque monkey visual cortex.Proc. R. Soc. Lond. [Biol.]. 1977; 198: 1
- Proper Studies.Chatto and Windus, London1927
- Clinical problem solving: A behavioral analysis.Ann. Intern. Med. 1978; 89: 245
- The role of hormones in the etiology of human breast cancer.Cancer. 1977; 39: 2716
- Essays in Satire.Sheed and Ward, London1933
- The reliability of clinical methods, data and judgments.N. Engl. J. Med. 1975; 293: 642-695
- Newman’s Grammer of Assent—een verwarloosd meesterwerk.Te Elfder Ure. 1957; 4: 289
Newman, J. H.: An Essay in Aid of a Grammar of Assent (1870). Reprinted in Harrold, C. F. (ed): New York, Longmans Green and Co., 1947.
Norman, G. R., Jacoby, L. L., et al.: Clinical experience and the structure of memory. In Annual Conference on Research in Medical Education, 18:214, 1979.
- Diagnosis. I. Symptom nonindependence in mathematical models for diagnosis.Comput. Biomed. Res. 1975; 8: 156
- Local circuit neurons.Neurosci. Res. Prog. Bull. 1975; 13: 295
Reeke, G. N., and Edelman, G. M.: Selective networks and recognition automata. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sei., in press.
- Computer-assisted medical decision making: A critical review.Ann. Biomed. Eng. 1981; 9: 605
- Diagnosis: The clinician and the computer.Lancet. 1967; 2: 877
- Principles of definition in medicine with special reference to chronic bronchitis and emphysema.Lancet. 1959; 1: 323
- Electrotonic processing of information by brain cells.Science. 1976; 193: 114
- Pathology and probabilities: A new approach to interpreting and reporting biopsies.N. Engl. J. Med. 1981; 305: 917
- The neuron doctrine: A revision of functional concepts.Yale J. Biol. Med. 1972; 45: 584
- Mathematical and computer assisted procedures in clinical decision making.Hum. Pathol. 1980; 11: 420
- Categories and Concepts.Harvard University Press, Cambridge1981
- Numerical taxonomy and disease classification.in: Jacquez J.A. The Diagnostic Process. University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor1964: 51
- The “module-concept” in cerebral cortex architecture.Brain Res. 1975; 95: 475
- A mathematical approach to medical diagnosis. Application to congenital heart disease.J.A.M.A. 1961; 177: 177
Webster’s New International Dictionary of the English Language. Edition 2. Unabridged. Springfield, Massachusetts, G. and C. Merriam Co., 1944.
- History of Scientific Ideas.J. W. Parker and Son, London1858
Wile, M. Z., Wingenfeld, J. R., et ah: Physician-patient communication: Interpretations of non-technical phrases. In Annual Conference on Research in Medical Education, 18:208, 1979.
- Mathematical typology: A grade of membership technique for obtaining disease definition.Comput. Biomed. Res. 1978; 11: 277
- A survey of decision aids for clinicians.Br. Med. J. 1982; 285: 1332
- On the inadequacy of the concept of disease.Med. Hypotheses. 1982; 9: 169