This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This article describes the simple techniques required to identify fungal elements within renal casts and how the recognition of fungal casts can be used to diagnose visceral fungal disease. The fungal cast method is compared with other laboratory methods.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Identification of fungal casts in a patient with renal candidiasis.Hum. Pathol. 1984; 15: 480-481
- Cardiac fungal infections: Review of autopsy findings in 60 patients.Hum. Pathol. 1984; 15: 935-942
- Disseminated fungal infections in very low-birth-weight infants: Clinical manifestations and epidemiology.Pediatrics. 1984; 73: 144-152
- Disseminated fungal infections in very low-birth-weight infants: Therapeutic toxicity.Pediatrics. 1984; 73: 153-157
- Experimental studies on the pathogenesis of infections of the male uro-genitaltract caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis var hominis and Candida albicans.Scand. J. Urol. Nephrol. 1975; 25: 24-26
Case Records of the Massachusetts General Hospital (Case 31, 1984). N. Engl. J. Med., 311:314–322, 1984.
- Modulation of Candida albicans attachments to human epithelial cells by bacteria and carbohydrates.Infect. Immun. 1983; 39: 1354-1360
- Current management of fungal enteritis.Med. Clin. North Am. 1982; 66: 675-687
- Candida infections in patients with acute leukemia: Ineffectiveness of nystatin prophylaxis and relationship between oropharyngeal and systemic candidiasis.Cancer. 1982; 50: 2780-2784
- Simultaneous determination of arabinitol and mannose by gas-liquid chromatography in experimental candidiasis.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1983; 17: 1166-1169
- Severe candidal infections: Clinical perspective, immune defense mechanisms, and current concepts of therapy.Ann. Intern. Med. 1978; 89: 91-106
- Candidal osteomyelitis: A case report.Aust. N.Z.J. Surg. 1983; 53: 141-143
- Serum arabinitol concentrations and arabinitol/creatinine ratios in invasive candidiasis.J. Infect. Dis. 1983; 147: 504-513
- Incidence and significance of candiduria.J.A.M.A. 1979; 241: 582-584
- Quantitation of antibody to Candida mannan by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1983; 101: 758-770
- The clinical significance of candidal casts.Am. J. Kidney Dis. 1984; 4: 179-184
- Study of antibody-coated fungi in patients with funguria and suspected disseminated fungal infections or primary fungal pyelonephritis.J. R. Soc. Med. 1980; 73: 567-569
- Disseminated Candida glahrata: Report of a uniquely severe infection and a literature review.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1983; 80: 724-726
- Treatment of fungal infections in the bones and joints with ketoconazole.J. Infect. Dis. 1983; 147: 1064-1069
- Fungal infections in renal transplant recipients.Ann. Surg. 1978; 188: 598-605
- Two cases of endocarditis due to Candidaalbicans discovered at autopsy.J. Infect. Dis. 1983; 147: 1122-1123
- Experimental renal moniliasis in the mouse.J. Pathol. Bact. 1963; 86: 75-82
- Systemic candidiasis in very low-birth-weight infants (< 1500 grams).Pediatrics. 1984; 73: 138-143
- Hospital-acquired fungemia: Its natural course and clinical significance.Am. J. Med. 1979; 67: 51-58
- Advances in the diagnosis of renal candidiasis.J. Urol. 1978; 119: 184-187
- Efficiency of serologic tests in the diagnosis of systemic candidiasis.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1978; 70: 893-898
- Diagnosis of systemic or visceral candidosis.Can. Med. Assoc. J. 1982; 126: 1386-1390
- Hyaline casts in the urine: Mechanism of formation and morphologic transformation.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1983; 80: 347-352
- Comparison of urinary lactic dehydrogenese with antibody-coated bacteria in the urine as a means of localizing the site of urinary tract infection.Pediatrics. 1979; 64: 672-677
- Candida infections in surgical patients.Ann. Surg. 1983; 198: 42-47
- Diagnostic value of monitoring kinetics of antibody responses in candidiasis by a solid-phase radioimmunoassay.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1983; 79: 200-205
- Fungemia in the immunocompromised host: Changing patterns, antigenemia, high mortality.Am. J. Med. 1981; 71: 363-370
- Genitourinary fungal infections.1. Urol. 1976; 116: 390-395
- Mannose in body fluids as an indicator of invasive candidiasis.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1981; 14: 557-562
- Endogenous endophthalmitis among patients with candidemia.Ophthalmology. 1982; 89: 789-796
- Human cerebral candidosis: A postmortem evaluation of 19 patients.Hum. Pathol. 1981; 12: 23-28
- The microbial colonization due to medical devices in intensive care patients with special emphasis on Candida albicans.Ann. Clin. Res. 1983; 15: 62-65
- Candida peritonitis complicating chronic peritoneal dialysis: A report of five cases and a review of the literature.Am. J. Kidney Dis. 1983; 2: 544-547
- Yeast adherence in the pathogenesis of Candida endocarditis.Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 1981; 168: 208-213
- Urine Sediment Examination.The Williams and Wilkins Co., Baltimore1980
- Examination of urine.in: Henry J.B. Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods. Edition 17. W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia1984: 380
- Patterns of Candida endocarditis following cardiac surgery: Importance of early diagnosis and therapy (an analysis of 91 cases).Prog. Cardiovasc. Dis. 1974; 17: 125-160
- Systemic candidiasis: Diagnosis from cutaneous manifestations.J. R. Soc. Med. 1982; 75: 875-878
- Indications for therapy for fungemia in postoperative patients.Arch. Surg. 1982; 117: 1272-1275
- Experiences with cadaver renal allograft contamination before transplantation.Br. J. Surg. 1982; 69: 482-485
- Candida sepsis: Pathogenesis and principles of treatment.Ann. Surg. 1974; 179: 697-711
- Candida-associated renal papillary necrosis.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1981; 75: 190-194
- Evaluation of serum arabinitol as a diagnostic test for candidiasis.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1983; 18: 353-357
- Genitourinary candidiasis: Diagnosis and treatment.J. Urol. 1976; 116: 778-780
- Fungemia with compromised host resistance: A study of 70 cases.Ann. Intern. Med. 1974; 80: 605-612
© 1985 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.