This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The cytologic evaluation of free fluid and washings from the peritoneal cavity has been applied in the management of ovarian neoplasms for nearly 20 years. Similar cytologic studies have also been used to assess female genital tract tumors, including endometrial and cervical malignancies. This article discusses the prognostic value of cytology in these three sites. A brief discussion of peritoneal cytology, laboratory techniques, and future applications is also included.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The significance of peritoneal cytology in patients with carcinoma of the cervix.Gynecol. Oncol. 1984; 17: 139-148
- Recognition of malignant cells in pleural and peritoneal effusions.Acta Cytol. 1974; 18: 118-121
- Ovarian Carcinoma: Etiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment.Edition 2. Masson, New York1982
- A radioimmunoassay using a monoclonal antibody to monitor the course of epithelial ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 1983; 309: 883-887
- The immunobiology of ovarian carcinoma.in: Griffiths C.T. Fuller A.F. Gynecologic Oncology. Martinus Nijoff, Boston1983
- The cytogenetic diagnosis of malignancy in effusions.Acta Cytol. 1972; 16: 304-306
- Acute leukemia following prolonged cytotoxic agent therapy.Medicine (Baltimore). 1979; 58: 32-47
- The cytologic diagnosis of ascitic fluid.Acta Cytol. 1964; 8: 175-183
- Prognostic significance of peritoneal cytology in patients with endometrial cancer and preliminary data concerning therapy with intraperitoneal radiopharmaceuticals.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1981; 141: 921-927
- Role of the fallopian tube in dissemination of malignant cells in corpus cancer.Cancer. 1972; 29: 456-457
- The prognostic value of peritoneal cytology in gynecologic malignant disease.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1971; 110: 773-781
- Transtubal spread of tumor cells in carcinoma of the body of the uterus.Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 1956; 103: 332-336
- Cytology of the peritoneal fluids sampled by coelioscopy or by cul-de-sac puncture: Its value in gynecology.Acta Cytol. 1968; 12: 395-403
- Clinical Gynecologic Oncology.Edition 2. C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis1984
- Transmission and scanning electron microscopic studies of cells in effusions.Acta Cytol. 1975; 19: 214-224
- Computer discrimination of cells in serous effusions. II. Peritoneal fluid.Acta Cytol. 1973; 17: 533-537
- The assessment of residual ovarian cancer by cytologica! examination of peritoneal washings obtained by culdocentesis.Gynecol. Oncol. 1981; 14: 131-135
- Experience with radioactive colloidal gold in the treatment of ovarian carcinoma.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1956; 71: 553-565
- Diagnostic value of peritoneal washings.Clin. Obstet. Gynecol. 1958; 1: 592-606
- Experience with peritoneal cytology in the management of gynecologic malignancies.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1974; 120: 174-182
- Peritoneal cytology in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix.Gynecol. Oncol. 1984; 19: 24-29
- Identification, purification, and radioimmunoassay of NB/70K, a human ovarian tumor-associated antigen.Cancer Res. 1980; 41: 1351-1357
- Diagnostic Cytology and Its Histopathologic Bases.Edition 3. J. B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia1979
- A radioimmunoassay for ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 1983; 309: 919-920
- Cytology of the pelvic peritoneal cavity in benign and malignant disease.Obstet. Gynecol. 1962; 20: 701-712
- Cytodiagnosis of effusions by the desorption technic.Acta Cytol. 1965; 9: 380-385
- Some morphologic features of cells containing PAS positive intracytoplasmic granules in smears of serous effusions.Acta Cytol. 1964; 8: 426-430
- Cytology of serous fluid in the pelvic peritoneal cavity of pregnant and postpartum women.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1969; 51: 150-153
- The cytology of the pelvic peritoneal cavity in normal women.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1968; 49: 506-511
- Cul-de-sac aspiration for diagnostic cytologic study.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1966; 96: 413-417
- The clinical value of peritoneal lavage for cytologic examination.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1961; 81: 1115-1122
- The Clinician’s Guide to Diagnostic Cytology.Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago1982
- The Cytology of Effusions: Pleural, Pericardial and Peritoneal and of Cerebrospinal Fliuid.Edition 2. The Whitefriars Press, Ltd., London1968
- Prognostic value of cytologic examination of peritoneal washings in patients with endometrial carcinoma.Acta Cytol. 1981; 25: 640-646
- Cytology of Transudates and Exudates.Karger, Basel, S.1977
- Malignant peritoneal cytology as prognostic indicator in stage I endometrial cancer.Obstet. Gynecol. 1983; 62: 359-362
- Peritoneal washing cytology: Uses and diagnostic criteria in gynecologic neoplasms.Acta Cytol. 1984; 28: 105-110
© 1985 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.