This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Nucleic acid spot hybridization was used for detection of adenovirus DNA directly in clinical specimens and enterovirus RNA in infected cells. The test gave results comparable to those obtained with antigen detection assays for adenoviruses. Spot hybridization could also be used for detection of enterovirus growth in cell cultures after a single passage from clinical specimens.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnosis of human parvovirus infection by dot-blot hybridization using cloned viral DNA.J. Med. Virol. 1985; 15: 163-172
- An assay for the detection of the DNA genome of hepatitis B virus in serum.J. Med. Virol. 1982; 9: 57-68
- Rapid detection and quantitation of human cytomegalovirus in urine through DNA hybridization.N. Engl. J. Med. 1983; 308: 921-925
- Human viral gastroenteritis.Microbiol. Rev. 1984; 48: 157-159
- A membrane-filter technique for the detection of complementary DNA.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 1966; 23: 641-646
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA): Quantitative assay of immunoglobulin G.Immunochemistry. 1971; 8: 871-874
- A dot-hybridization assay for detection of rotavirus.Lancet. 1983; 1: 555-559
- Analysis of clinical specimens of hybridization with probe containing repetitive DNA from Plasmodium falciparum.Lancet. 1984; 1: 525-528
- Reverse radioimmunoassay of IgM and IgG antibodies to coxsackie B viruses in patients with acute myopericarditis.J. Med. Virol. 1984; 14: 191-200
- Varicella-zoster virus DNA in human sensory ganglia.Nature. 1983; 306: 478-480
- Measles virus nucleotide sequences: Detection by hybridization in situ.Science. 1981; 212: 672-675
- Four-layer radioimmunoassay for detection of adenovirus in stool.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1980; 11: 614-617
- Detection of enteroviruses by spot hybridization.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1984; 19: 436-438
- Detection of adenoviruses in nasopharyngeal specimens by radioactive and nonradioactive DNA probes.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1985; 21: 730-733
- Immunologic detection of proteins after isoelectric focusing in thin-layer agarose gel: A specific application for the characterization of immunoglobulin diversity.J. Clin. Lab. Immunol. 1983; 10: 225-228
- Enzymatic synthesis of biotin-labeled polynucleotides: Novel nucleic acid affinity probes.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sei. U.S.A. 1981; 78: 6633-6637
- Rapid and sensitive colorimetric method for visualizing biotin-labeled DNA probes hybridized to DNA or RNA immobilized on nitrocellulose: Bio-blots.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sei. U.S.A. 1983; 80: 4045-4049
- Molecular cloning: A Laboratory Manual.Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor1982
- Enteroviral disease in the United States, 1970–1979.J. Infect. Dis. 1982; 146: 103-108
- Detection of Chlamydia trachomatis by nucleic acid sandwich hybridization.FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 1984; 23: 83-89
- Molecular cloning of poliovirus cDNA and determination of the complete nucleotide sequence of the viral genome.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1981; 73: 4887-4891
- Labeling deoxyribonucleic acid to high specific activity in vitro by nick translation with DNA polymerase I.J. Mol. Biol. 1977; 113: 237-251
- Use of subgenomic poliovirus DNA hybridization probes to detect the major subgroups of enteroviruses.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1984; 20: 1105-1108
- Rapid diagnosis of adenoviral tonsillitis: A prospective clinical study.J. Pediatr. 1984; 104: 725-728
- Detection of respiratory syncytial parainfluenza type 2 and adenovirus antigens by radioimmunoassay and enzyme immunoassay on nasopharyngeal specimens from children with acute respiratory disease.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1981; 13: 258-265
- Comparison of the complete nucleotide sequences of the genomes of the neurovirulent poliovirus P3/Leon/37 and its attenuated Sabin vaccine derivative P3/Leon 12a1b.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sei. U.S.A. 1984; 81: 1539-1543
- Identification of DNA viruses by membrane filter hybridization.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1982; 15: 744-747
- The use of molecular hybridization for demonstration of adenoviruses in human stools.Curr. Top. Microbiol. Immunol. 1983; 104: 299-306
- Replicate gene of coxsackievirus B3.J. Virol. 1984; 51: 742-746
- Molecular cloning and characterization of hepatitis A virus cDN A.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1983; 30: 5885-5889
- DNA hybridization technique for the detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in men with urethritis.J. Infect. Dis. 1983; 143: 462-471
- Importance of enteric adenoviruses 40 and 41 in acute gastroenteritis in infants and young children.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1984; 20: 365-372
- Novel test for rapid viral diagnosis: Detection of adenovirus in nasopharyngeal mucus aspirates by means of nucleic-acid sandwich hybridization.Lancet. 1983; 1: 381-383
© 1985 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.