This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This article deals with legislative impacts on clinical laboratory services, the roles of hospital laboratories and reference laboratories, the assessment of the need for reference laboratory services, the selection of a reference laboratory, and evaluating services from reference laboratories.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Independent laboratory or hospital laboratory: What difference does it make?.Pathologist. 1985; 39: 31-36
- Selecting a reference lab: A two-step approach.Med. Lab. Observer. 1982; 14: 81-85
- Pathology practice under TEFRA and DRGs.Pathologist. 1983; 37: 560-562
- DRG opportunities knock for references laboratories.Med. Lab. Observer. 1984; 16: 30-42
- DRG strategies from the big eight.Med. Lab. Observer. 1985; 17: 45-51
- Hospital cost accounting I. Health Care Fin.Mgmt. 1985; 39: 19-28
- Hospital cost accounting II. Health Care Fin.Mgmt. 1985; 39: 58-64
- Clinical laboratories: Profit center, production industry or patient-care resource?.N. Engl. J. Med. 1978; 198: 422-427
Fackelmann, K.: Meeting the challenge of DRGs—hospital, regional labs to compete. Clin. Chem. Newsl. March 1984.
- Operational and financial outcomes of shared laboratory services in a consolidated hospital system.J.A.M.A. 1985; 253: 2076-2079
- The law, regulations, and the clinical laboratory.Clin. Lab. Med. 1983; 3: 443-449
- Quality control: Use of pooled serum.Postgrad. Med. 1966; 40: A70-A82
- Should your hospital enter the outpatient lab business?.Med. Lab. Observer. 1984; 16: 54-60
- Cost Accounting.Edition 4. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs1977
- Test cost analysis: More vital than ever.Med. Lab. Observer. 1983; 15: 51-57
- Time for a price strategy.Med. Lab. Observer. 1983; 15: 43-48
- How to choose a reference lab.Med. Lab. Observer. 1981; 13 (September): 61-70
- An approach to cost analysis of clinical laboratory services.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1978; 69: 525-536
- Reference laboratories (Parts I-III).Med. Lab. Observer. 1978; 10 (October 10): 53-89
- Acting on significant laboratory results.J.A.M.A. 1981; 245: 1762-1763
- Hospitals, M.D.’s test cost cutting potential of lab cooperative ventures.Mod. Health Care. 1984; 14: 72-74
- Selecting and Evaluating a Referral Laboratory: Proposed Guidelines (GP9-P).N.C.C.L.S., Villanova, Pennsylvania1985 (April)
- Procedure for the Domestic Handling & Transport of Diagnostic Specimens and Etiologic Agents: Approved Standard, Second Edition (H5-A2).N.C.C.L.S., Villanova, Pennsylvania1985 (January)
- Procedure for Handling and Processing of Blood Specimens: Tentative Standard (H18-T).N.C.C.L.S., Villanova, Pennsylvania1984 (June)
- How to Use the Reference Laboratory.American Society of Clinical Pathologists, Chicago1973
- How one hospital laboratory system marketed its clinical laboratory services.Pathologist. 1983; 37: 541-545
- Avoid conflict: Know the legal implications.Pathologist. 1983; 37: 546-548
- Strategic planning for outreach laboratory services.Pathologist. 1983; 37: 537-540
- Laboratory Microcosting and Beyond.American Hospital Association, Chicago1984
- Clinical laboratories: Profit, production or patient care?.N. Engl. J. Med. 1978; 298: 454-455
- Cutting costs in clinical chemistry.Med Lab. Observer. 1984; 16: 31-38
- Selection of reference laboratory services.Clin. Lab. Med. 1983; 3: 509-523
- Cost structure and fee schedules in hospital laboratories.N.Y. State J. Med. 1983; 83: 964-967
- Less utilization of the clinical laboratory produces disproportionately small true cost reductions.Hum. Pathol. 1984; 15: 499-501
© 1985 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.