This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Potential problems are described that one could encounter in carrying out an electrophoretic procedure including its ancillary phases of visualization (staining) and quantification (densitometry). Endpoint-like measurements for separated isoenzymes may provide artifactual kinetic values as well, because stain measurement is fixed at a single time whereas reagent blanking in the electrophoretic medium is substituted for the conventional serum initial absorbance readings of test-tube determinations. Truncation of separated electrophoretic zones or opacity of an electrophoretic anticonvection medium such as uncleared cellulose acetate may also interfere with absolute quantification procedures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The displacement of serum water by the lipids of hyperlipemic serum. A new method for the rapid determination of serum water.J. Clin. Invest. 1955; 34: 1483-1488
- A graphic method for the conversion of transmission curves to a corrected density curve for the calculation of proteins separated by paper electrophoresis.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1955; 45: 958-962
- Hyponatremia in patients with type I diabetes mellitus.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1984; 31: 395
- Pseudohyponatremia.Am. J. Emerg. Med. 1985; 3: 236-239
- Creatine kinase.CRC Crit. Rev. Clin. Lab. Sci. 1982; 16: 291-335
- Rapid cellulose acetate electrophoresis: 1. Serum proteins.Clin. Chem. 1963; 9: 317-323
- Hyponatremia. Check Sample, Clinical Chemistry No. CC-103.American Society of Clinical Pathologists, Commission on Continuing Education, Chicago1977
- Recent advances in the theory and practice of electrophoresis.Immunochemistry. 1968; 5: 107-134
- Analytical errors due to lipemia.Lab. Med. 1983; 14: 351-355
- Continuous direct photometry of dyed materials in filter paper with special references to the estimation of proteins separated by electrophoresis.Biochem. J. 1954; 56: 434-444
- Electrophoresis.in: Tietz N.W. Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry. W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia1976: 127-134
- Current concepts, serum osmolality, uses and limitations.N. Engl. J. Med. 1984; 310: 102-105
- The ultraviolet absorption spectra of proteins.J. Biol. Chem. 1951; 193: 397-404
- Ein einfaches Verfahren zur Analyse der Serumproteins und anderen Proteingemische.Naturwissenschaften. 1950; 37: 496-497
- Erroneous densitometric albumin estimation as a result of prestaining with certain dyes.Anal. Biochem. 1972; 46: 433-442
- Multiple enzyme forms from protein-bromphenol blue interaction during gel electrophoresis.Anal. Biochem. 1972; 46: 433-437
- Impact of posture on the “reference range” for serum proteins and calcium.Clin. Chem. 1977; 23: 1343-1345
- Agarose gel electrophoresis.Clin. Chem. 1979; 25: 629-638
- Enzymes.in: Tietz N.W. Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry. Edition 2. W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia1976: 682-690
- Estimation of serum proteins by electrophoresis on Celluloseacetate.Clin. Chem. 1972; 13: 1541-1542
- Electrophoresis of proteins on filter paper.J. Gen. Physiol. 1951; 35: 89-118
- Simple microassay of urinary protein using a membrane filter.Tokai J. Exp. Clin. Med. 1978; 3: 89-96
- Electrophoresis, specific protein assays, or both in measurement of plasma proteins.Clin. Chem. 1973; 19: 99-102
- Serum protein electrophoresis. Evaluation and modification of the Micro Zone system. Part II: Ponceau S. Can.J. Med. Tech. 1968; 26: 55-70
- Photometric analysis of proteins and peptides at 191–194 mμ.Anal. Biochem. 1970; 36: 91-100
- Description of analytical problems arising from elevated serum solids.Anal. Biochem. 1984; 142: 239-251
- Diagnostic strategies in disorders of fluid, electrolytes and acid-base homeostasis.Am. J. Med. 1982; 72: 496-519
- Paper electrophoresis: Principles and techniques.in: Sobotka H. Stewart C.P. Advances in Clinical Chemistry. Academic Press, New York1959: 1-134
Raymond, S., and Wang, Y.: Preparation and properties of acrylamide gel for use in electrophoresis. Anal. Biochem., 391–396, 1960.
- Far ultraviolet direct photometry applied to protein electrophoresis.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1959; 54: 115-124
- The turbid specimen as an analytical medium: Hemoglobin determination as a model.Clin. Chim. Acta. 1985; 147: 7-14
- Comparison of methodologies for thallasemia screening by Hb A2 quantitation.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1975; 36: 873-882
- Factors contributing to intra-individual variation of serum constituents in healthy subjects: Effects of posture and tourniquet application on variation of serum constitutents in healthy subjects.Clin. Chem. 1974; 20: 1513-1519
- A simple and precise method of determining true sodium potassium and chloride concentrations in hyperlipemia.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1976; 88: 683-688
- Ultraviolet spectrophotometry of serum proteins.Anal. Chem. 1960; 32: 199-202
- Evaluation of a high-resolution electrophoresis system.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1977; 67: 247-250
- Clinical application of a high-resolution electrophoresis system.Ann. Clin. Lab. Sci. 1978; 8: 219-227
- Studies on the serum proteins. IV: The dye-binding of purified serum proteins separated by continuous-flow electrophoresis.Clin. Chem. 1959; 5: 171-185
- Quantitative thin layer chromatography with particular reference to the “flying spot” system of scanning.The Netherlands, Vitatron, NV1971
- Why does coomassie brilliant blue R interact differently with different proteins?.J Biol. Chem. 1985; 25: 9976-9980
- Agar Gel Electrophoresis.Elsevier, Amsterdam1965
- Studies and critique of amido black 10B, coomassie blue R, and fast green FCF as stains for proteins after polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis.Anal. Biochem. 1979; 96: 263-278
- Kinetic properties of the isoenzymes of human creatine phosphokinase.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 1974; 71: 1384-1387
- Electrophoresis.in: Henry R.J. Cannon D.C. Winkelman J.W. Clinical Chemistry, Principles and Technics. Harper & Row, New York1974: 91-105
- Dual-wavelength point zig-zag scanning of zones on thin-layer chromatograms as a tool for quantitative assay.J. Chromatogr. 1976; 116: 29-41
- Associated problems of protein electrophoresis, staining and densitometry.Ann. Clin. Lab. Sci. 1978; 8: 385-395
- Protein electrophoresis: Problems and pitfalls.Lab. Med. 1980; 11: 517-523
- Postulated flaw in densitometry.Microchem. J. 1978; 23: 226-236
© 1986 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.