This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A variable number of soft-tissue tumors, depending largely on the experience of the pathologist, cannot be precisely classified by light microscopy, and electron microscopy and/or immunocytochemistry may be required. The applications and limitations of these techniques in the diagnosis of selected soft-tissue tumors are briefly reviewed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gastric epithelioid leiomyoma and leiomyosarcoma (leio-myoblastoma).Cancer. 1976; 38: 708
- Hemangiopericytoma: Ultrastructural study of five cases.Cancer. 1973; 31: 1418
- Benign lipoblastoma and myxoid liposarcoma: A comparative light and electron microscopic study.Am J Surg Pathol. 1980; 4: 163
- The expression of endothelial surface antigens by AIDS-associated Kaposi’s sarcoma. Evidence for a vascular endothelial cell origin.Am J Pathol. 1986; 122: 493
- A monoclonal antibody that detects myoepithelial cells in exocrine glands, basal cells in other epithelia, and basal and suprabasal cells in certain hyperplastic tissues.Virchows Arch (Pathol Anat). 1986; 409: 725
- Myofibroblasts and related cells in malignant fibrous and fibrohistiocytic tumors.Hum Pathol. 1977; 8: 205
- Keratin proteins and carcinoembryonal antigen in synovial sarcoma: An immunohistochemical study of 24 cases.Hum Pathol. 1984; 15: 615
- Demonstration of alpha-1 antitrypsin and alpha-1 antichymotrypsin in fibrous histiocytomas using the immunoperoxidase technique.Am J Surg Pathol. 1982; 6: 559
- Epithelioid sarcoma.Cancer. 1970; 26: 1029
- Soft Tissue Tumors. CV Mosby, St. Louis1983
- Spindle cell tumours of the skin of debatable origin. An immunocytochemical study.J Pathol. 1984; 144: 189
- Intermediate-sized filaments of the prekeratin type in myoepithelial cells.J Cell Biol. 1980; 84: 633
- Extraskeletal Ewing’s sarcoma: Histologic and ultrastructural observations in three cases.Am J Surg Pathol. 1979; 3: 99
- Monoclonal antibodies to human intermediate filament proteins: Unique and cross-reacting antibodies.J Cell Biol. 1982; 96: 414
- Immunoperoxidase localization of factor VIII in angiosarcoma.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1982; 106: 515
- Factor VIII in Kaposi’s sarcoma.Am J Clin Pathol. 1981; 76: 197
- S-100 protein distribution in liposarcoma with special reference to the distinction of liposarcoma from myxoid malignant fibrous histiocytoma.Virchows Arch (Pathol Anat). 1984; 405: 1
- Malignant fibrous histiocytoma; An ultrastructural study of 11 cases.Hum Pathol. 1983; 14: 913
- Synthesis of factor VIII antigen by cultured endothelial cells.Ann NY Acad Sei. 1975; 240: 62
- Role of immunocytochemistry in diagnosis of prostatic neoplasia by fine needle aspiration biopsy.Diagn Cytopathol. 1985; 1: 21
- Ultrastructure of liposarcoma. A study of 10 cases.Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand. 1979; 87: 109
- Leiomyoblastomas and their relationship to other smooth-muscle tumors of the gastrointestinal tract. An electron-microscopic study.Am J Surg Pathol. 1984; 8: 449
- Synovial sarcoma—a clinical, pathological, and ultrastructural study of 26 cases supporting the recognition of a monophasic variant.Am J Surg Pathol. 1981; 5: 137
- Localization of type IV collagen, laminin, heparan sulfate proteoglycan, and fibronectin in the basal lamina of basement membrane.J Cell Biol. 1982; 95: 340
- Endothelial cell markers in vascular neoplasms: An immunohistochemical study comparing factor VIII-related antigen, blood group specific antigens, 6-keto-PGFl alpha, and Ulex europaeus I lectin.J Pathol. 1986; 149: 89
- Salivary epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of intercalated ducts. A clinical, electron microscopic and immunocytochemical study.Oral Surg Med Pathol. 1985; 59: 482
- Coin lesion of the lung in a 19 year old male.Ultrastruct Pathol. 1981; 2: 289
- Gastric stromal tumors: Reappraisal of histogenesis.Am J Surg Pathol. 1983; 7: 507
- Synovial sarcoma: An electron microscopic study of monophasic and biphasic forms.Cancer. 1980; 45: 2109
- Immunohistochemical demonstration of laminin, the major glycoprotein of basement membranes, as an aid in the diagnosis of soft tissue tumors.Am J Clin Pathol. 1983; 79: 306
- Intermediate filaments in eosinophilic cells of epithelioid sarcoma: A light-microscopic, ultrastructural, and electrophoretic study.Am J Surg Pathol. 1981; 5: 195
- Localization of factor VIII-related antigen in vascular endothelial cells using an immunoperoxidase method.Am J Surg Pathol. 1980; 4: 273
- Cellular differentiation of epithelioid sarcoma. An electron-microscopic, enzyme-histochemical, and immunohistochemical study.Am J Pathol. 1985; 119: 44
- Kaposi’s sarcoma. Immunohistologic evidence for an endothelial origin.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1981; 105: 274
- Hemangiopericytoma: A light microscopic and ultrastructural study.Cancer. 1981; 47: 906
- Comparison of Ulex europeaus I lectin and factor VIII-related antigen in vascular lesions.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1984; 108: 129
- Synovial sarcoma.J Pathol. 1985; 147: 49
- Bizarre smooth muscle tumors of the stomach.Cancer. 1962; 15: 400
- Alveolar soft part sarcoma: An electron microscopic study.Mayo Clin Proc. 1975; 50: 591
- Malignant smooth muscle tumors of the gastrointestinal tract: An ultrastructural study of 20 cases.Ultrastruct Pathol. 1981; 2: 231
- Malignant fibrous histiocytoma tumor cells resemble fibroblasts.Am J Surg Pathol. 1986; 10: 323
© 1987 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.