This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Electron microscopy may be very helpful in establishing the diagnosis of alimentary tract neoplasms, especially with tumors that are poorly differentiated. Tonofilaments and keratin in squamous carcinomas, microvilli and intracytoplasmic acini in adenocarcinomas, and neurosecretory granules in carcinoid tumors are distinctive ultrastructural features of the three tumors that occur most frequently. Other, less commonly occurring tumors may also retain features at the ultrastructural level that are specific for the cell of origin and thus helpful in establishing the diagnosis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Immunohistochemical evidence of peptide hormones in endocrine tumors of the rectum.Cancer. 1981; 48: 2409-2415
- Neurohormonal peptides in endocrine tumors of the pancreas, stomach, and upper intestine. I. An immunohistochemical study of 27 cases.Ultrastruct Pathol. 1983; 55: 55-72
- Glomus tumors of the stomach.Cancer. 1969; 23: 203-208
- Gastric epithelioid leiomyoma and leiomyosarcoma (leiomyoblastoma).Cancer. 1976; 38: 708-728
- Spindle cell carcinoma.Cancer. 1976; 37: 2275-2282
- Tumors of the small intestine.Am J Surg. 1962; 103: 358-375
- Sarcomatous lesions of the stomach.Ann Surg. 1971; 173: 758-765
- Oat cell carcinoma of the esophagus: A recently recognized entity.J Clin Pathol. 1976; 29: 1068-1073
- Ultrastructure of the goblet cell type of adenocarcinoid of the appendix.Cancer. 1978; 42: 2687-2695
- Immunoreactivity of paraffin-embedded normal tissues in mesenchymal tumors for smooth muscle myosin.Am J Clin Pathol. 1983; 80: 677-681
- Adenocarcinoid (mucinous carcinoid) of the appendix.Gastroenterology. 1984; 86: 302-309
- Histogenesis of cloacogenic carcinoma.Hum Pathol. 1978; 9: 579-587
- Small cell carcinoma of the esophagus: Evidence for a unified histogenesis.Hum Pathol. 1984; 15: 460-468
- Extrapulmonary oat cell carcinoma.Cancer. 1984; 54: 1645-1661
- Six cases of so-called carcinosarcoma of the esophagus—histological and ultrastructural study on its histogenesis.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 1979; 9: 87-102
- Granular cell tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and perianal region.Dig Dis Sei. 1981; 26: 807-816
- Leiomyoblastomas and their relationship to other smooth muscle tumors of the gastrointestinal tract.Am J Surg Pathol. 1984; 8: 449-461
- Neoplastic argentaffin cells in gastric and intestinal carcinomas.Cancer. 1971; 27: 447-454
- Polypoid squamous carcinoma of the esophagus.Am J Surg Pathol. 1983; 7: 495-499
- The contribution of electron microscopy to the diagnosis of tumors.Pathobiol Annu. 1978; 8: 359-405
- Pseudosarcoma and carcinosarcoma of the esophagus.Cancer. 1976; 37: 1546-1555
- Carcinoid tumors of the gastrointestinal tract.Am Surgeon. 1985; 51: 37-41
- The cytochemistry and ultrastructure of polypeptide hormone producing cells of the APUD series and embryologic, physiologic and pathologic implications of the concept.Histochem Cytochem. 1969; 17: 303-313
- Benign paraganglioma of the duodenum.Arch Pathol. 1973; 96: 276-282
- Neuroendocrine carcinomas of the esophagus.Ultrastruct Pathol. 1980; 1: 367-376
- The endodermal origin of digestive and respiratory tract APUD cells.Am J Pathol. 1979; 96: 5-17
- The prevalence and prognostic significance of argyrophil cells in colorectal carcinomas.Am J Surg Pathol. 1984; 8: 123-128
- Primary duodenal small-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma with production of vasoactive intestinal polypeptide.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1986; 110: 317-320
- Visceral Kaposi’s disease.Arch Pathol. 1947; 43: 335-342
- Adenocarcinoid, a mucin-producing carcinoid tumor of the appendix.Cancer. 1978; 42: 2781-2793
- Goblet cell carcinoid of appendix.Cancer. 1979; 44: 1700-1706
- Malignant smooth muscle tumors of the gastrointestinal tract: An ultrastructural study of 20 cases.Ultrastruct Pathol. 1981; 2: 231-240
- Value of S-100 protein in the diagnosis of soft tissue tumors with particular reference to benign and malignant Schwann cell tumors.Lab Invest. 1983; 49: 299-308
- The neuroendocrine products of intestinal carcinoids.Cancer. 1983; 51: 1918-1926
© 1987 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.