This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Owing to a narrow therapeutic range and significant toxicides, lithium must be used with caution in the treatment of bipolar-effective illness. Blood samples for lithium monitoring should be obtained 12 hours after the evening dose. Clinicians should be aware of drug-drug interactions and make appropriate adjustments in lithium dosage whenever a change in regimen occurs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Monitoring of lithium treatment through determination of lithium concentration.Dan Med Bull. 1975; 22: 277-291
- Serum level monitoring and clinical pharmacokinetics of lithium.Clin Pharmacokinet. 1977; 2: 73-92
- Azidothymidine for AIDS.Med Lett Drugs Ther. Oct 24, 1986; 28: 107-110
- The Practitioner’s Guide to Psychoactive Drugs. Plenum Medical Book Company, New York1977
- Quantitative rating of manic states.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1975; 52: 1-6
- Lithium poisoning from the use of salt substitute.JAMA. 1949; 139: 685-688
- Lithium “failure”: Nonresponders versus subtherapeutic levels.Hosp Formul. 1982; 17: 561-567
- Lithium intoxication.Q J Med. 1978; 47: 123-144
- First degree atrioventricular block during lithium carbonate treatment.Am J Psychiatry. 1977; 134: 88-89
Jefferson J, et al: Lithium Encyclopedia for Clinical Practice, 1983
- Hazards and adverse effects of lithium.Annu Rev Med. 1982; 33: 327-344
- Bioavailability and dissolution parameters of seven lithium carbonate products.J Pharm Sci. 1979; 68: 952-954
- Therapeutic lithium levels after divided-dose loading with slow release lithium carbonate.Drug Intell Clin Pharm. 1982; 16: 479
- Absorption and excretion of lithium in manic depressive disease.Dis Nerv Sys. 1968; 29: 733-738
- Relationship between dosage and response to lithium prophylaxis in recurrent depression.Am J Psychiatry. 1976; 133: 567-570
- Relationship between serum lithium level and clinical response to acute mania treated with lithium.Br J Psychiatry. 1972; 120: 409-414
- Interfaces of psychopharmacology and cardiology—Part One.J Clin Psychiatry. 1981; 42: 23-34
- Relationship of lithium chloride dose to treatment response in acute mania.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1976; 33: 1080-1084
- A Textbook for the Clinical Application of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. Abbott Laboratories, Diagnostics Division, Irving, Texas1986
- Renal lithium excretion in man.Am J Physiol. 1968; 215: 823-827
- Structural and functional effects of long-term lithium therapy.Kidney Int. 1982; 21: S13-S19
- Peritoneal dialysis for lithium poisoning.Br Med J. 1971; 2: 749-750
© 1987 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.