This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Key recent findings provide definitive evidence that lowering blood cholesterol in humans reduces coronary heart disease risk. These research advances serve as the basis for national guidelines concerning the medical and public health implications of lowering blood cholesterol to prevent heart disease.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Beneficial effects of combined colestipol-niacin therapy on coronary atherosclerosis and coronary venous bypass grafts.JAMA. 1987; 257: 3233
- A receptor-mediated pathway for cholesterol homeostasis.Science. 1986; 232: 34
- Helsinki Heart Study: Primary-prevention trial with gemfibrozil in middle-aged men with dyslipidemia.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 1237
- Genetics and cardiovascular disease.in: Braunwald E. Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia1988: 1617
- Overall and CHD mortality rates in relation to major risk factors in 325,348 men screened for the MRFIT.Am Heart J. 1986; 112: 825
- Coronary heart disease in seven countries.in: Keyes A. Circulation. 41. 1970 (Suppl 1)
- The influence of changes in lipid values induced by cholestyramine and diet on progression of coronary artery disease: Results of the NHLBI Type II Coronary Intervention Study.Circulation. 1984; 69: 325
- The Lipid Research Clinics Coronary Primary Prevention Trial Results: I Reduction in incidence of coronary heart disease.JAMA. 1984; 231: 360
- The Lipid Research Clinics Coronary Primary Prevention Trial Results: II. The relationship of reduction in incidence of coronary heart disease to cholesterol lowering.JAMA. 1984; 251: 365
- Lipid alterations and decline in the incidence of coronary heart disease in the Helsinki Heart Study.JAMA. 1988; 260: 641
- Lowering blood cholesterol to prevent heart disease.JAMA. 1985; 253: 2080
- Relationship of blood pressure, serum cholesterol, smoking habit, relative weight, and ECG abnormalities to incidence of major coronary events: Final report of the pooling project.J Chronic Dis. 1978; 31: 201
- Evaluation and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults.Arch Intern Med. 1988; 148: 36
- Review of lipid-lowering clinical trials in relation to observational studies.Circulation. 1987; 76: 515
- Ten-year incidence of coronary heart disease in the Honolulu heart program. Relationship to biologic and lifestyle characteristics.Am J Epidemiol. 1984; 119: 653
© 1989 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.