This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Linkage analysis is an important and clinically applicable method of predicting risk for genetic disorders and traits. When a gene cannot be detected directly, evaluation of a closely linked marker may be used in risk assessment. This review of linkage analysis provides basic information and examples of the application of these methods in genetic counseling situations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Partial trisomy 21.Clin Genet. 1973; 4: 241
- Construction of a genetic linkage map using restriction fragment length polymorphisms.Am J Hum Genet. 1980; 32: 314
- Studies on locus expansion, library representation, and chromosome walking using an efficient method to screen cosmid libraries.Gene. 1988; 71: 391
- Muscular dystrophy in girls with X: Autosome translocations.J Med Genet. 1986; 23: 484
- Linkage analysis in man.Adv Hum Genet. 1980; 10: 209
- Homozygosity of chromosome 13 in retinoblastoma.N Engl J Med. 1984; 310: 550
- Interspecific hybridization of somatic cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 1965; 53: 1040
- Quantitative immunological studies on cytoplasmic superoxide dismutase: High concentration in red cells of Down Syndrome.Am J Hum Genet. 1975; 27: 33A
- A genetic model for colorectal tumorigenesis.Cell. 1990; 6: 759
- Principles of Medical Genetics. Williams & Wilkens, Baltimore1990: 193
- Cytogenetic findings in a prospective series of patients with DiGeorge anomaly.Am J Hum Genet. 1988; 43: 605
- A polymorphic DNA marker genetically linked to Huntington’s disease.Nature. 1983; 306: 234
- Hybrid cells derived from mouse and man: Artificial heterokaryons of mammalian cells from different species.Nature. 1965; 205: 640
- Smith’s Recognizable Patterns of Human Malformation. ed 4. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1988
- Initial construction of a linkage map of chromosome 21.Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1985; 40: 668
- A polymorphic DNA marker linked to cystic fibrosis is located on chromosome 7.Nature. 1985; 318: 380
- Genetics of human cancer.Ann Rev Genet. 1986; 20: 231
- Analysis of deletions in DNA from patients with Becker and Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Nature. 1986; 322: 73
- Molecular dissection of a contiguous gene syndrome: Frequent submicroscopic deletions, evolutionary conserved sequences, and a hypomethylated “island” in the Miller-Dieker chromosome region.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1989; 86: 5136
- Mendelian Inheritance in Man. ed 9. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore1990
- Random segregation versus coupling in Mendelian inheritance.Science. 1911; 34: 384
- Sequential tests for the detection of linkage.Am J Hum Genet. 1955; 7: 277
- Estimation of the recombination fraction in human pedigrees: Efficient computation of likelihood for human linkage studies.Am J Hum Genet. 1974; 26: 588
- Analysis of Human Genetic Linkage. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore1985
- Jumping libraries and linking libraries: The next generation of molecular tools in mammalian genetics.Trends Genet. 1986; 174
- Detection of submicroscopic deletions in band 17pl3 in patients with the Miller-Dieker syndrome.Am J Hum Genet. 1988; 43: 597
- Genetics in Medicine. ed 4. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1986: 193
- Cystic fibrosis locus defined by a genetically linked polymorphic DNA marker.Science. 1985; 230: 1054
- Molecular detection of microscopic and submicroscopic deletions associated with Miller-Dieker syndrome.Am J Hum Genet. 1988; 43: 587
- Localization of cystic fibrosis locus to human chromosome 7cen-q22.Nature. 1985; 318: 384
- Human-mouse hybrid cell lines containing partial complements of human chromosomes and functioning human genes.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 1967; 58: 1104
- 3p deletion and small cell lung carcinoma.Mayo Clin Proc. 1989; 64: 256
- Chromosome mapping with DNA markers.Sci Am. 1988; 258: 40
- A closely linked genetic marker for cystic fibrosis.Nature. 1985; 318: 382
© 1992 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.