This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This review on potassium metabolism provides a succinct summary for the practicing physician on differential diagnosis, work-up, and treatment of commonly encountered potassium disorders.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hyperkalemic distal renal tubular acidosis associated with obstructive uropathy.N Engl J Med. 1981; 304: 373
- The transport of potassium.in: Orloff J. Berliner R.W. Renal Physiology. American Physiological Society, Washington, DC1973
- Extrarenal potassium homeostasis.Kidney Int. 1986; 30: 116
- Kidney failure in childhood.Int J Pediatr Nephrol. 1981; 2: 201
- Hyperkalemia and hyporeninemic hypoaldosteronism.Kidney Int. 1980; 17: 118
- Epinephrine and potassium homeostasis.Kidney Int. 1981; 20: 83
- Renal potassium adaptation: Na-K-ATPase activity along the nephron after chronic potassium loading.Am J Physiol. 1980; 238: F380
- Effect of amiloride, ouabain, and furosemide on distal tubular function in the rat.Am J Physiol. 1971; 221: 632
- Evidence for a prostaglandin-independent defect in chloride reabsorption in the loop of Henle as a proximal cause of Bartter’s syndrome.Am J Med. 1978; 65: 766
- Disorders of potassium metabolism.in: Chan J.C.M. Gill Jr, J.R. Kidney Electrolyte Disorders. Churchill Livingstone, New York1990: 137
- Textbook of Medical Physiology. ed 7. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1973
- Mechanism of potassium adaptation.Am J Physiol. 1982; 243: F103
- On the mechanism of rhabdomyolysis in potassium depletion.J Clin Invest. 1972; 51: 1750
- The effect of potassium and extracellular volume on renal bicarbonate reabsorption.Metabolism. 1973; 22: 481
- Management of emergencies: VI. Hyperkalemia.N Engl J Med. 1966; 274: 1076
- The kidney in potassium depletion.Am J Med. 1958; 24: 764
- Influence of aldosterone on sodium, water and potassium metabolism in chronic renal disease.Kidney Int. 1972; 1: 156
- On the mechanism of renal potassium wasting in renal tubular acidosis associated with Fanconi syndrome (Type II RTA).J Clin Invest. 1971; 50: 231
- The role of sodium salts and adrenal steroids in the production of hypokalemic acidosis.Yale J Biol Med. 1956; 29: 229
- Potassium and blood pressure control.Ann Intern Med. 1983; 98: 773
- Movement of potassium into skeletal muscle during spontaneous attacks in familial periodic paralysis.J Clin Invest. 1957; 36: 730
© 1993 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.