This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This article presents a systematic approach—through history, physical examination, and laboratory findings—for the pursuit of the diagnosis of acute and chronic renal failure. These guidelines are based on the pathophysiology of the syndromes. In management, they serve the goal of staying the failure and regaining renal function.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Drug-related syndromes in clinical nephrology.Ann Intern Med. 1977; 87: 582
- Identification of risk for renal insufficiency from nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.Arch Intern Med. 1983; 143: 1130
- Physiologic monitoring goals for the critically ill patient.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1978; 147: 833
- Rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis: Classification, pathogenetic mechanisms, and therapy.Am J Kidney Dis. 1988; 11: 449
- The value of ultrasound in previously undiagnosed renal failure.Br J Radiol. 1984; 57: 673
- Non-oliguric acute renal failure.Arch Intern Med. 1982; 142: 1882
- The FENa Test: Use in the differential diagnosis of acute renal failure.JAMA. 1976; 236: 579
- Acute renal failure in shock: The critical point.Clin Res. 1980; 28: 44A
- Differential diagnosis of acute renal failure.Clin Nephrol. 1980; 13: 73
- FENa effective in early diagnosis of acute rejection after kidney transplantation.Proceedings of Clinical Dialysis and Transplantation Forum. 1979; 19: 256
- Cancer and the kidney: Renal complications of neoplasms.Am J Med. 1981; 71: 704
- Diagnosis and management of acute tubular necrosis.Med Clin North Am. 1990; 74: 873
- Reversible acute renal insufficiency and hyperkalemia following indomethacin therapy.JAMA. 1981; 246: 154
- The pathophysiology of urinary obstruction.in: Walsh P.C. Gittes R.E. Perlmutter A.D. Campbell’s Urology. ed 5. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1986: 542
- Fourth Capri Conference on Uremia.Kidney Int. 1985; 28 (ed): S1
- Acute renal failure.in: Wyngaarden J.B. Smith Jr, L.H. Cecil’s Textbook of Medicine. ed 18. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1988: 558
- Hospital-acquired renal insufficiency: A prospective study.Am J Med. 1983; 74: 243
- Captopril-induced functional renal insufficiency in patients with bilateral renal-artery stenosis or renal artery stenosis in a solitary kidney.N Engl J Med. 1983; 308: 373
- Aminoglycoside nephrotoxicity.Kidney Int. 1988; 33: 900
- A rapid method of diagnosis of acute uric acid nephropathy.Arch Intern Med. 1978; 138: 612
- Treatment of acute renal failure.in: Schlier R.W. Gottschalk C.W. Diseases of the Kidney. ed 4. Little, Brown & Co, Boston1988: 1501
- Chronic renal failure.in: Wyngaarden J.B. Smith Jr, L.H. Cecil’s Textbook of Medicine. ed 18. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1988: 563
- Hypertension in pregnancy.N Engl J Med. 1985; 313: 675
- Urinary diagnostic indices in acute renal failure. A prospective study.Ann Intern Med. 1978; 89: 47
- Acute renal failure: A study of the course and prognosis of 104 patients and of the role of furosemide.Am J Med Sei. 1976; 271: 317
- Hemodynamically mediated acute renal failure.N Engl J Med. 1986; 314: 97
- Urinary indices and chemistries in the differential diagnosis of pre-renal failure and acute tubular necrosis.Semin Nephrol. 1985; 5: 224
- Nuclear medicine in acute and chronic renal failure.Semin Nucl Med. 1982; 12: 265
- Evolution of bone disease over 10 years in 135 patients with terminal renal failure.Br Med J. 1973; 4: 315
- Acute oliguric interstitial nephritis.Kidney Int. 1979; 16: 751
- Value of renal biopsy in acute intrinsic renal failure.Br Med J. 1976; 2: 459
- Fractional excretion of sodium: Exceptions to its diagnostic value.Arch Intern Med. 1985; 145: 108
© 1993 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.