This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid should be used routinely in the evaluation and management of nodular thyroid disease. Our extensive experience (11,000 biopsies) confirms the high sensitivity (98%) and the predictive value (99%) of the procedure for the detection of malignancy. Application of fine-needle aspiration biopsy has increased the surgical yield of cancer (from 14% to 39%). Complications are extremely rare, and the procedure is cost effective.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fine-needle aspiration cytology of thyroid gland diseases.Acta Cytol. 1990; 34: 251
- Management of thyroid nodules. II. Scanning techniques, thyroid suppressive therapy, and fine needle aspiration.Head Neck Surg. 1981; 3: 297
- Fine-needle biopsy cytology and DNA analysis: Their place in the evaluation and treatment of patients with thyroid neoplasms.Surg Clin North Am. 1987; 67: 197
- Medullary carcinoma of the thyroid: A cytological, immunocytochemical, and ultrastructural study.Diagn Cytopathol. 1992; 8: 28
- Management of the thyroid nodule.Head Neck. 1989; 11: 414
- Fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules.Wis Med J. 1991; 90: 285
- Fine needle aspiration biopsy in the management of thyroid nodules.Endocrinologist. 1991; 1: 194
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the preoperative diagnosis of solitary thyroid nodules.Appl Pathol. 1989; 7: 149
- Cystic thyroid nodules: The dilemma of malignant lesions.Arch Intern Med. 1990; 150: 1422
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid: Diagnostic accuracy when performing a moderate number of such procedures.Arch Intern Med. 1989; 149: 2007
- Differential diagnosis between follicular adenoma and follicular carcinoma of the thyroid by marker features.Anal Quant Cytol Histol. 1986; 8: 195
- Changing trends in thyroid surgery: 38 years’ experience.Am Surg. 1991; 57: 18
- Evaluation of nodular thyroid disease.Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. Sept 1988; 17: 511
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid: An appraisal.Ann Intern Med. 1993; 118: 282-289
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid: The problem of suspicious cytologic findings.Ann Intern Med. 1984; 101: 25
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid, 1980 to 1986.Acta Cytol. 1987; 31: 587
- Southwestern Internal Medicine Conference: Management of thyroid nodules.Am J Med Sci. 1988; 296: 336
Grohs HK: Fine needle aspiration of medullary thyroid carcinoma. ASCP Cytology Check Sample, C88-5 (C-179)
- Sources of diagnostic error in fine needle aspiration of the thyroid.Cancer. 1989; 63: 718
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules: Impact on thyroid practice and cost of care.Am J Med. 1982; 73: 381
- Fine-needle biopsy of thyroid nodules: Avoiding the pitfalls.NY State J Med. 1986; 86: 241
- The value of fine-needle aspiration biopsy in patients with nodular thyroid disease divided into groups of suspicion of malignant neoplasms on clinical grounds.Arch Intern Med. 1990; 150: 113
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy: A reliable diagnostic tool in the management of thyroid nodules.Am Surg. 1984; 50: 485
- A comparative study of DNA cytometry methods for benign and malignant thyroid tissue.Am J Clin Pathol. 1988; 89: 760
- Diagnostic pitfalls in the fine needle aspiration of thyroid nodules: A study of 555 cases in Chinese patients.Acta Cytol. 1987; 31: 699
- Fine needle aspiration of thyroid nodules: Three years’ experience.J Clin Pathol. 1989; 42: 23
- Cytopathology of papillary carcinoma of the thyroid by fine needle aspiration.Acta Cytol. 1980; 24: 511
- Cytopathology of follicular lesions of the thyroid gland.Diagn Cytopathol. 1985; 1: 123
- Fine needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis of thyroid nodules.Acta Cytol. 1991; 35: 434
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy cytology of the thyroid: Its value and limitations in the diagnosis and management of solitary thyroid nodules.Pathol Annu. 1991; 26: 63
- Fine-needle aspiration and needle biopsy of the thyroid gland.Pathol Annu. 1989; 24: 161
- Nodular thyroid disease: Evaluation and management.N Engl J Med. 1985; 313: 428
- Stereology, flow cytometry, and immunohistochemistry of follicular neoplasms of the thyroid gland.Hum Pathol. 1991; 22: 179
- Thyroid nodule suppression.in: Mazzaferri E.L. Bar R.S. Kriesberg R.A. Advances in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol 2. Mosby-Year Book, St. Louis1991: 107
- The thyroid nodule.Ann Intern Med. 1982; 96: 221
- Solitary thyroid nodule: Audit shows improved care requires cytological diagnosis.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1989; 71: 316
© 1993 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.