This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Oxidized LDL, not the native LDL, promotes atherosclerosis. However, ox-LDL is usually undetectable in the blood circulation. Autoantibodies against ox-LDL (γ ox-LDL), on the other hand, are not only measurable in the blood but may also reflect the extent of in vivo oxidation of native LDL and provide any early sign of risk for atherosclerosis. Current assay for 7 ox-LDL needs improvement. Routine clinical application of this assay has to wait until all parameters of this assay are defined and characterized.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Oxidizability of LDL in patients with carotid or femoral artery atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 1995; 112: 77
- Serum antibodies to oxidized low-density lipoprotein in pre-eclampsia and coronary heart disease.Lancet. 1994; 343: 1570
- Patients with early-onset peripheral vascular disease have increased levels of autoantibodies against oxidized LDL.Arterioscler Thromb Vase Biol. 1995; 15: 441
- Minimally modified low density lipoprotein stimulates monocyte-endothelial interactions.J Clin Invest. 1990; 85: 1260
- Monocyte and neutrophils oxidize low density lipoprotein making it cytotoxic.J Leukoc Biol. 1985; 38: 341
- The lability of estrogen receptors: Correlation of estrogen binding and antigenicity.Clin Chem. 1986; 32: 1774
- Autoantibodies against oxidized low density lipoprotein: A review of clinical findings and assay methodology.J Clin Lab Anal. 1995; 9: 70
- ELISA of IgG antibody to oxidized low-density lipoprotein: Effects of blocking buffer and method of data expression.Clin Chem. 1994; 40: 882
- Rat liver Kupffer and endothelial cells express different binding proteins for modified low density lipoproteins.J Biol Chem. 1994; 269: 824
- Autoantibodies to oxidized low density lipoproteins in restenosis following coronary angioplasty.Cardiology. 1994; 84: 310
- Malonyldialdehyde-altered protein occurs in atheroma of Watanabe heritable hyperlipidemic rabbits.Science. 1988; 241: 215
- Low-density lipoprotein oxidation, antioxidants, and atherosclerosis: A clinical biochemistry perspective.Clin Chem. 1996; 42: 498
- Monoclonal antibodies against LDL further enhance macrophage uptake of LDL aggregates.Arterioscler Thromb. 1992; 12: 1258
- Enhanced uptake and impaired intracellular metabolism of low density lipoprotein complexed with anti-low density lipoprotein antibodies.Arterioscler Thromb. 1991; 11: 1356
Maggi E, Finardi G, Poli M, et al: Specificity of autoantibodies against oxidized LDL as an additional marker for atherosclerotic risk. Coronary Artery Dis 1119, 1993
- Isolation and characterization of human antioxidized LDL autoantibodies.Arterioscler Thromb Vase Biol. 1996; 16: 222
- Endothelial and smooth muscle cells alter low-density lipoprotein in vitro by free radical oxidation.Arteriosclerosis. 1984; 4: 357
- Autoantibodies against modified low density lipoprotein: Nonlipid factor of blood plasma that stimulates foam cell formation.Arterioscler Thromb. 1991; 11: 316
- Monoclonal antibody-based immunoassay for evaluation of lipoprotein oxidation.Anal Biochem. 1995; 227: 225
- The scavenger receptor serves as a route for internalization of lysophosphatidylcholine in oxidized low density lipoprotein-induced macrophage proliferation.J Biol Chem 271. 1996; 273: 46
- Autoantibody against oxidized LDL and progression of carotid atherosclerosis.Lancet. 1992; 33: 883
- LDL oxidation and coronary atherosclerosis.Lancet. 1992; 340: 123
- Modifications of low-density lipoprotein that increase its atherogenicity.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 915
- Antioxidants in the prevention of human atherosclerosis.Circulation. 1992; 85: 2337
- Cross reaction between antibodies to oxidised low-density lipoprotein and to cardiolipin in systemic lupus erythematosus.Lancet. 1993; 341: 923
- Different fate in vivo of oxidatively modified low density lipoprotein and acetylated low density lipoprotein in rats.J Biol Chem. 1991; 266: 2282
- Evidence for the presence of oxidatively modified low density lipoprotein in atherosclerotic lesions of rabbit and man.J Clin Invest. 1989; 84: 1086
- Rabbit and human atherosclerotic lesions contain IgG that recognizes epitopes of oxidized LDL.Arterioscler Thromb. 1994; 14: 32
- An immunochemical marker of low density lipoprotein oxidation.J Lipid Res. 1989; 30: 885
© 1997 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.