This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Interstitial cystitis (IC) is a chronic inflammatory disease of the bladder characterized by symptoms of urgency, frequency, and pain. The etiology of IC is unknown but autoimmune mechanisms may play a causal or excerbating role since we have found that up to 50% of the IC patient population have autoantibodies, some of which are novel and others of which are shared by other diseases. We are currently investigating the role of autoantibody testing in relationship to diagnosis, prognosis and therapy of IC.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The enigma of interstitial cystitis-an autoimmune disease?.Br J Urol. 1989; 63: 58
- Recombinant DNA technology and its diagnostic applications.Histopathology. 1992; 21: 303
- Experimental autoimmune cystitis: A potential murine model for ulcerative interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1992; 148: 1951
- Lymphocyte sub-populations in the bladder wall in normal bladder, bacterial cystitis and interstitial cystitis.Br J Urol. 1994; 73: 508
- Abnormal urothelial HLA-DR expression in interstitial cystitis.Clin Exp Immunol. 1992; 87: 450
- Dormant microbes in interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1995; 153: 1321
- Diagnosis of autoimmune diseases.J Immunol Methods. 1992; 150: 177
- Antigens produced by recombinant DNA technology.Clin Chem. 1989; 35: 1838
- Summary of the National Institutes of Arthritis, Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases Workshop on Interstitial Cystitis.National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, August 28-29, 1987. J Urol. 1988; 140: 203
- Chronic interstitial cystitis occurring during the shift between rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.Clin Rheumatol. 1994; 13: 119
- Immunologic aspects of interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1973; 109: 228
- Diagnosis of interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1990; 143: 278
- Interstitial cystitis: Bladder mucosa lymphocyte immunophenotyping and peripheral blood flow cytometry analysis.J Urol. 1990; 144: 868
- In vivo binding of immunoglobulin and complement to elastic structures in urinary bladder vascular walls in interstitial cystitis: Demonstration by immunoelectron microscopy.Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1987; 43: 88
- Nucleolar antigens and autoantibodies in hepatocellular carcinoma and other malignancies.Am J Pathol. 1992; 140: 859
- Clinical features and spectrum of light microscopic changes in interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1990; 143: 1118
- Antitissue antibodies in interstitial cystitis.Clin Exp Immunol. 1972; 11: 333
- A prospective study of microorganisms in urine and bladder biopsies from interstitial cystitis patients and controls.Urology. 1995; 45: 223
- Evidence for urothelial cell activation in interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1993; 149: 470
- Interleukin-6 and interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1994; 152: 869
- The histology of interstitial cystitis.Am J Surg Pathol. 1990; 14: 969
- Cellular immunity in interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1991; 145: 274
- Interleukin-1 B: A clinically relevant urinary marker.J Urol. 1994; 151: 1198
- Immunoglobulin deposits in bladder epithelium and vessels in interstitial cystitis: Possible relationship to circulating anti-intermediate filament autoantibodies.Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1984; 32: 81
- A three-tiered view of the role of IgA in mucosal defense.Immunology Today. 1993; 14: 430
- Interstitial cystitis: Early diagnosis, pathology, and treatment.Urology. 1978; 12: 381
- Lymphocyte function in patients with interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1992; 147: 592
- Tamm-Horsfall autoantibodies in interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1991; 145: 37
- cDNA cloning and characterization of a novel nucleolar protein.Mol Biol Cell. 1996; 7: 1015
- Autoantibodies in interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1994; 151: 587
- Interstitial cystitis as an autoimmune disease: A review.Eur Urol. 1980; 6: 10
- Epithelial dysfunction in nonbacterial cystitis (interstitial cystitis).J Urol. 1991; 145: 732
- The role of interleukin-6 in mucosal IgA antibody responses in vivo.Science. 1994; 264: 561
- Role of the immune response in interstitial cystitis.Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1995; 74: 209
- The etiology of interstitial cystitis.Urol Clin North Am. 1994; 21: 21
- Immunopathology of interstitial cystitis.Mod Pathol. 1989; 2: 593
- Interstitial cystitis.in: Stamey T.A. Monographs in urology. Medical Direction Publishing Co, Montverde, FL1991: 37
- Bladder antibodies in interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 1970; 103: 307
- Role of the immune system in interstitial cystitis.Semin Urol. 1991; 9: 108
- Antinuclear antibodies: Diagnostic markers for autoimmune diseases and probes for cell biology.Adv Immunol. 1989; 44: 93
- Sjogren's syndrome in patients with interstitial cystitis.J Rheumatol. 1993; 20: 962
- Autoantibodies in the diagnosis of systemic rheumatic diseases.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 1995; 24: 323
- Interstitial cystitis as an infectious disease.Urol Clin North Am. 1994; 21: 31
© 1997 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.