This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Cytokines are peptide hormones that regulate a wide variety of immune and inflammatory processes. Individual cytokines are produced by many different cell types and exhibit pronounced pleiotropism. Cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor a interleukins -5, -10, and -12 play important roles in immunity. Interleukins -2 and -4, and transforming growth factor 7 mediate lymphocyte activation and differentiation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Experimental arthritis produced by injection of mediators of delayed hypersensitivity.Arthritis Rheum. 1974; 17: 537-551
- Cytokines: Coordinators of immune and inflammatory responses.Annu Rev Biochem. 1990; 59: 783-836
- Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist.Adv Immunol. 1993; 54: 167-227
- Pyrogen release from human synovial cell exudates.Br J Exp Pathol. 1968; 49: 11-19
- Cytokines and rheumatic diseases.in: Kunkel S.L. Remick D.G. Cytokines in Health and Disease. Marcel Dekker, New York1992
- Interleukin-1.Adv Pharmacol. 1994; 25: 21-51
- In vivo studies of articular tissue damage mediated by catabolin/interleukin 1.Ann Rheum Dis. 1987; 46: 527-533
- Chemokines and HIV-1 second receptors. Confluence of two fields generates optimism in AIDS research.Nature Medicine. 1996; 2: 1293-1300
- Tumor necrosis factor and interleukin-1 in arthritis.Immunobiology. 1987; 175: 10-11
- Correlation of plasma interleukin 1 levels with disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis.Lancet. 1988; 2: 706-709
- The role of cytokines in rheumatological inflammation.in: Cruse J.M. Lewis Jr., R.E. Concepts in Immunology: Autoimmunore- gulation and Autoimmune Disease, vol 4. Karger, Basel1987: 143-155
- The molecular cell biology of interferon-gamma and its receptor.Annu Rev Immunol. 1993; 11: 571-611
- Detection and partial characterization of human B-cell colony stimulating activity in synovial fluids of patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Clin Exp Immunol. 1985; 60: 316-322
- HIV-1 entry cofactor: Functional cDNA cloning of a seven-transmembrane, G protein-coupled receptor.Science. 1996; 272: 872-877
- Interleukin-10 and its implications for immunopathology.Adv Nephrol. 1995; 24: 79-90
- Interleukin-12: Biologic activity, therapeutic utility, and role in disease.Lab Invest. 1995; 72: 619-637
- The biology of interleukin-6.in: Kishimoto T. Interleukin: Molecular Biology and Immunology. 51. Chem Immunol, Basel1992: 153-180
- Immune interferon in the circulation of patients with autoimmune disease.N Engl J Med. 1979; 301: 5-8
- Constitutive production of interleukin-6 and immunologic features in cardiac myxomas.Arthritis Rheum. 1990; 33: 398-402
- A dynamic model for neutrophil localization to inflammatory sites.Journal of the National Institutes of Health. 1991; 3: 75
- Interleukin-6 family of cytokines and gpl30.Blood. 1995; 86: 1243-1254
- Synthesis of type 1 (IFN-7) and type 2 (IL-4, IL-5, and IL-10) cytokines by human eosinophils.Ann NY Acad Sei. 1996; 796: 203-208
- Human monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1).Immunology Today. 1990; 11: 97-101
- Interleukin-8 and MCAF: Novel inflammatory cytokines inducible by IL-1 and TNF.Cytokines. 1990; 1: 2-13
- Biology and biochemistry of the chemokines: A family of chemotactic and inflammatory cytokines.Crit Rev Immunol. 1992; 12: 17-46
- Interleukin 1 stimulation of synovial cell plasminogen activator production.J Rheumatol. 1986; 13: 15-19
- IL-1 induces endothelial cell synthesis of plasminogen activator inhibitor.J Exp Med. 1986; 163: 1595-1600
- Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in human atheromatous plaques.J Clin Invest. 1991; 88: 1121
- The transforming growth factor-betas.A new family of immunoregulatory molecules. Ann NY Acad Sei. 1990; 593: 181-187
- Interleukin-4, a prototypic immunoregulatory lymphokine.Blood. 1990; 77: 1859-1870
- Interleukin 1 induces leukocyte infiltration and cartilage proteoglycan degradation in the synovial joint.Proc Natl Acad Sei USA. 1986; 83: 8749-8753
- Interleukin-4 and cancer therapy.Cancer Invest. 1993; 11: 473-486
- Interleukin-2: Its biology and clinical application in patients with cancer.Cancer Invest. 1993; 11: 460-472
- Molecular and cellular biology of eosinophil differentiation factor (interleukin-5) and its effects on human and mouse B cells.Immunol Rev. 1988; 102: 29
- The interferon system.A bird's eye view of its biochemistry. J Biol Chem. 1992; 267: 5017-5020
- The acute phase response during parasitic infection.Immunology Today. 1992; 12: A7-A11
- Cytokine receptors and signal transduction.FASEB J. 1993; 7: 3387-3396
- The simultaneous release by bone explants in culture and the parallel activation of procollagenase and of a latent neutral proteinase that degrades cartilage proteoglycans and denatured collagen.Biochem J. 1978; 172: 261-274
- The pathophysiology of tumor necrosis factors.Annu Rev Immunol. 1992; 10: 411-452
- Endogenous activation of latent collagenase by rheumatoid synovial cells.N Engl J Med. 1977; 296: 1017-1023
- Expression of monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 in macrophage-rich areas of human and rabbit atherosclerotic lesions.Proc Natl Acad Sei USA. 1991; 88: 5252
© 1997 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.