This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
To properly triage and treat patients with chest pain, it is necessary to provide an early objective diagnosis of infarction within 4 to 6 hours of onset of symptoms. This need is fueled by the necessity to administer thrombolytic therapy within 6 to 8 hours of onset of infarction, together with the need to be more cost effective in screening patients with chest pain that require admission to the hospital. Results of a large trial performed in 11,000 patients with chest pain showed MB CK Subforms reliably excludes or confirms myocardial infarction in the first 6 hours of onset of symptoms. A more recent multi-centered double blind trial confirmed the sensitivity and specifity of MB CK Subforms for early diagnosis. Furthermore, MB CK Subforms correctly diagnosed all the individuals with MI in the first hour of presentation into the emergency room.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnosis of perioperative myocardial infarction with measurement of cardiac troponin I.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 670
- Temporal dependence of beneficial effects of coronary thrombolysis characterized by positron tomography.Am J Med. 1982; 73: 573
- One-year results from the global utilization of streptokinase and t-PA for occluded coronary arteries (GUSTO-I) trial.Circulation. 1992; 85: 533
- Value of myoglobin, troponin T, and CK-MB mass in ruling out an acute myocardial infarction in the emergency room.Circulation. 1995; 92: 3401
- Trends in coronary care.A retrospective study of patients with myocardial infarction treated in coronary care units. Acta Med Scand. 1988; 227: 507
- Risk stratification according to the initial electrocardiogram in patients with suspected acute myocardial infarction.Arch Intern Med. 1989; 149: 1294
- Recombinant creatine kinase proteins as proposed standards for creatine kinase isoenzyme and isoform assay.Clin Chem. 1993; 39: 1598
- Purification and characterization of naturally occurring and in vitro induced multiple forms of MM creatine kinase.J Biol Chem. 1984; 259: 2667
- Coronary artery reperfusion.II. Reduction of myocardial infarct size at 1 week after the coronary occlusion. J Clin Invest. 1972; 51: 2717
- The increased use of diagnostic procedures in patients with acute myocardial infarction: A community-wide perspective.Arch Intern Med. 1987; 147: 1729
- Rapid separation of plasma creatine kinase isoenzymes by batch absorption with glass beads.Clin Chem. 1975; 21: 844
- Creatine kinase release not associated with myocardial necrosis after short periods of coronary artery occlusion in conscious baboons.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1985; 6: 1299
- Reversible myocardial ischemic injury is not associated with increased creatine kinase activities in plasma.Clin Chem. 1997; 43: 467
- Ruling out acute myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 1239
- Sensitivity of routine clinical criteria for diagnosing myocardial infarction within 24 hours of hospitalization.Ann Intern Med. 1987; 106: 181
- Candidates for thrombolysis among emergency room patients with acute chest pain.Ann Intern Med. 1989; 110: 957
- Creatine kinase and phosphorylase in cardiac lymph: Coronary occlusion and reperfusion.Am J Physiol. 1985; 17: H350
- MILIS Study Group. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Multicenter Investigation of the Limitation of Infarct Size (MILIS): Design and Methods of the Clinical Trial. An Investigation of Beta-Blockade and Hyaluronidase for Treatment of Acute Myocardial Infarction.American Heart Association Monograph 100, Dallas1984
- Isolation and sequence analysis of a full-length cDNA for human M creatine kinase.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1986; 140: 981
- In vitro translation of canine mitochondrial creatine kinase from messenger RNA.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1983; 110: 967
- Sensitive, rapid assay of subforms of creatine kinase MB in plasma.Clin Chem. 1989; 35: 1452
- Use of rapid assay of subforms of creatine kinase MB to diagnose or rule out acute myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 1994; 331: 561
Rawles J, on behalf of the Great Group: Halving of mortality at 1 year by domiciliary thrombolysis in the Grampian Region Early Anistreplase Trial (Great). J Am Coll Cardiol 23:1, 1994
- The "wavefront phenomenon" of myocardial ischemic cell death.II. Transmural progression of necrosis within the framework of ischemic bed size (myocardium at risk) and collateral flow. Lab Invest. 1979; 40: 633
- Diagnostic assessment of myocardial infarction based on lactate dehydrogenase and creatine kinase isoenzymes.Heart Lung. 1981; 10: 486
- Reperfusion and the plasma isoforms of creatine kinase isoenzymes: A clinical perspective.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1987; 9: 464
- Enzymatic diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction.Chest. 1988; 93: 3S
- Thrombolysis and its sequelae: Calcium antagonists as potential adjunctive therapy.Circulation. 1989; 80: IV-93
- Multi-center blinded trial utilizing multiple diagnostic markers to exclude myocardial infarction in patients presenting consecutively to the ER with chest pain [abstract].Circulation. 1996; 94: 1-322
- Combined isoenzyme analysis in the diagnosis of myocardial injury: Application of electrophoretic methods for the detection and the quantitation of the creatine phosphokinase MB isoenzyme.J Lab Clin Med. 1972; 80: 577
- Coronary care unit triage decision aids: How do we know when they work?.Am J Med. 1989; 87: 491
- The initial electrocardiogram during admission for myocardial infarction.Arch Intern Med. 1987; 47: 843
- TIMI IIIB Investigators: Effects of tissue plasminogen activator and a comparison of early invasive and conservative strategies in unstable angina and non-Q-wave myocardial infarction: Results of the TIMI IIIB Trial.Circulation. 1994; 89: 1545
- Electrocardiographic, enzymatic and scintigraphic criteria of acute myocardial infarction as determined from study of 726 patients (a MILIS Study).Am J Cardiol. 1985; 55: 1463
- Human creatine kinase: Isolation and sequence analysis of cDNA clones for the B subunit, development of subunit specific probes and determination of gene copy number.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1987; 144: 1116
- Prehospital-initiated vs hospital-initiated thrombolytic therapy.The Myocardial Infarction Triage and Intervention Trial. JAMA. 1993; 270: 1211
- Selecting the best triage rule for patients hospitalized with chest pain.Am J Med. 1989; 87: 494
- Physician practice in the management of patients with uncomplicated myocardial infarction: Changes in the past decade.Circulation. 1982; 65: 421
- Post-synthetic changes in creatine kinase isoenzymes.Clin Chim Acta. 1978; 86: 323
- Prediction rules for patients with suspected myocardial infarction.Arch Intern Med. 1987; 147: 1219
© 1997 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.