This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Detection of cardiac injury after blunt chest wall trauma or cardiac surgery is problematic. Previously available biomarkers have been hindered largely by limitations of specifity for myocardial damage. Both cardiac troponin I and T have been evaluated in these patient subgroups. While many questions remain unanswered, it appears that measurement of troponin proteins will facilitate patient care in these difficult situations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Biochemical markers of myocardial injury: Is MB creatine kinase the choice of the 1990s?.Circulation. 1993; 88: 750
- Cardiac troponin I, a marker with high specificity for cardiac injury.Circulation. 1993; 88: 101
- Diagnosis of perioperative myocardial infarction with measurement of cardiac troponin I.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 670
- Improved detection of cardiac contusion with cardiac troponin I.Am Heart J. 1996; 131: 308
- Serum cardiac troponin I, creatine kinase (CK), and CK-MB in early posttraumatic rhabdomyolysis.Clin Chem. 1997; 43: 416
- Development of monoclonal antibodies for an assay of cardiac troponin-I and preliminary results in suspected cases of myocardial infarction.Clin Chem. 1992; 38: 2203
- Cardiac troponin I is not expressed in fetal and healthy or diseased adult human skeletal muscle tissue.Clin Chem. 1995; 41: 1710
- Troponin T and troponin I after coronary artery bypass grafting: Discordant results in patients with renal failure.Clin Chem. 1996; 42: 781
- Discrepant results for cardiac troponin T and troponin I in chronic myopathy, depending on instrument and assay generation.Clin Chem. 1996; 42: 2039
- Use of cardiac troponin I as a marker of perioperative myocardial infarction.Ann Thorac Surg. 1995; 59: 1192
- Effect of peri-operative diltiazem on myocardial ischaemia and function in patients receiving mammary artery grafts.Eur Heart J. 1995; 16: 87
- Cardiac troponin T in patients with renal failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1997; 29: 234A
- Patterns and predictive value of cardiac troponin I after cardiothoracic surgery in children.Circulation. 1996; 94: I-480
- Release of CK-MB isoforms and troponin T during perioperative myocardial damage and balloon coronary angioplasty.Clin Chem. 1993; 39: 1156
- Myocardial markers of injury, evolution and insights.Am J Clin Pathol. 1996; 105: 305
- Cardiac-specific immunoenzymometric assay of troponin I in the early phase of acute myocardial infarction.Clin Chem. 1993; 39: 972
- Myosin heavy-chain fragments and cardiac troponin in the serum in rhabdomyolysis.Arch Neurol. 1995; 52: 1210
- Preoperative myocardial cell damage in patients with unstable angina undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting.Anesthesiology. 1994; 81: 1324
- Use of cardiac troponin I to diagnose perioperative myocardial infarction in coronary artery bypass grafting.Clin Chem. 1994; 40: 2066
- Cardiac troponin T in the diagnosis of heart contusion.Lancet. 1991; 338: 693
- Troponin T to diagnose myocardial infarction in bypass surgery.Lancet. 1991; 337: 434
- Intermittent antegrade warm versus cold blood cardioplegia: A prospective, randomized study.Ann Thorac Surg. 1994; 58: 41
- Nonpenetrating cardiac trauma.Cardiol Clin. 1995; 13: 241
- Troponin T in cardiac surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 1996; 61: 1040
- Cardiac troponin T and perioperative myocardial damage in coronary surgery.J Cardiothorac Vase Anesth. 1995; 9: 484
- Lower cardiac troponin T levels in patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass and receiving high-dose aprotinin therapy indicate reduction of perioperative myocardial damage.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995; 109: 1164
© 1997 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.