This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This article provides an overview of hemolytic anemia in children. Main focus areas include acquired immune-mediated hemolysis, hemolytic anemia due to hereditary RBC disorders, hereditary hemolytic disorders caused by enzyme abnormalities, and hereditary hemolytic anemia due to hemoglobin abnormalities.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- G6PD deficiency.Blood. 1994; 84: 3613
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency.N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 169
- The molecular biology of enzymes of erythrocyte metabolism.in: Stamatoy-annopoulos G. Nienhus A.W. Majerus P.W. The Molecular Basis of Blood Disease. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1993
- Red Cell Metabolism. A Manual of Biochemical Methods. ed 3. Grune and Stratton, New York1984
- What is the best predictor of the severity of ABO-haemolytic disease of the newborn?.Lancet. 1988; 2: 641
- Sickle cell disease.in: Hoffman R. Benz E. Shatill S. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. ed 2. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1995: 611
- Spectrin genes in health and disease.Semin Hematol. 1993; 30: 4
- Anemia.in: Embury S. Hebbel R. Mohandas N. Sickle Cell Disease: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice. Raven Press, New York1994: 545
- Recognition of anemia and red blood cell disorders during infancy.in: Alter B.E. Perinatal Hematology. Methods in Haematology, vol 21. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1989: 126
- Hematologic disorders in children from Southeast Asia.Pediatr Clin North Am. 1996; X: 665
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and related disorders of hexose monophosphate shunt and glutathione metabolism.in: Lee G.R. Foerster J. Lukens J. Wintrobe’s Clinical Hematology. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1998: 1176
- Hereditary hemolytic anemias associated with abnormalities of erythrocyte glycolysis and nucleotide metabolism.in: Lee G.R. Foerster J. Lukens J. Wintrobe’s Clinical Hematology. ed 10. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1998: 1160
- Hereditary spherocytosis and other hemolytic anemias associated with abnormalities of the red cell membrane and cytoskeleton.in: Lee G.R. Foerester J. Lukens J. Wintrobe’s Clinical Hematology. ed 10. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1998: 1132
- a-Thalassemia.in: Higgs D.R. Weatherall D.J. Balliere’s Clinical Hematology. WB Saunders, London1993: 117
- Anemia and hemoglobinopathies in Southeast Asian refugee children.J Pediatr. 1983; 102: 692
- Universal screening for hemoglobinopathies using high-performance liquid chromatography: Clinical results of 2.2 million screens.Eur J Hum Genet. 1994; 2: 262
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency.in: Scriver C. Beaudet A. Sly W. The Metabolic and Molecular Bases of Inherited Disease. ed 7. McGraw-Hill, New York1995
- Disorders of the red cell membrane.in: Handin R.I. Lux S.E. Stossel T.O. Blood: Principles and Practice of Hematology. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1995: 1701
- Erythrocyte disorders in infancy.in: Taeusch H.W. Ballard R.A. Diseases of the Newborn. ed 7. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1998: 1080
- Modulation of erythrocyte membrane mechanical stability by 2,3-diphosphoglycerate in the neonatal poikilocytosis/elliptocytosis syndrome.J Clin Invest. 1987; 79: 943
- Pyruvate kinase deficiency and disorders of glycolysis.in: Nathan D.G. Oski Hematology of Infancy and Childhood, vol 1. ed 4. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1992: 634
- Enzymopathies.in: Hoffman R. Benz E. Shatill S. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. ed 2. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1995: 656
- Haemolytic anaemia associated with disorders of the purine and pyrimidine salvage pathways.Clin Haematol. 1981; 10: 81
- Red cell nucleotide abnormalities.Prog Clin Biol Res. 1984; 165: 213
- Red cell membrane disorders.in: Hoffman R. Benz E. Shatill S. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. ed 2. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1995: 667
- Mortality in sickle cell disease.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 23
- Hereditary hemolytic anemia with triosephosphate isomerase deficiency.N Engl J Med. 1965; 272: 229
- Diagnosis of hereditary spherocytosis in newborn infants.J Pediatr. 1983; 103: 460
- Thalassemia syndromes.in: Hoffman R. Benz E. Shatill S. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. ed 2. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1995: 586
- Pyruvate kinase and other enzymopathies of the erythrocyte.in: Scriver C. Beaudet A. Sly W. The Metabolic and Molecular Bases of Inherited Disease. ed 7. McGraw-Hill, New York1995
- Red cell enzymopathies of the glycolytic pathway.Semin Hematol. 1990; 27: 165
- An explanation of the failure of the direct antiglobulin test to detect erythrocyte sensitization in ABO hemolytic disease of the newborn and observations on pinocytosis of IgG anti-A antibodies by infant (cord) red cells.Br J Haematol. 1971; 20: 9
- Isozymes of phosphofructokinase.in: Rattazzi M.C. Scandalios J.G. Whitt G.S. Isozymes: Current Topics in Biological and Medical Research. Alan R Liss, New York1982
© 1999 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.