This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Thrombocytopenia and thrombocytosis are extremely common during childhood since the platelet serves as an acute phase reactant, rising or declining following various stimuli. Platelets are enumerated and their function is assessed in children using tests similar to those employed in adults. Tests of platelet function, including the bleeding time and platelet aggregation measurements, are currently viewed as less useful than in past years. Several new tests of platelet function have recently been developed. The differential diagnosis of thrombocytopenia and platelet dysfunction differs greatly between children and adults. Management strategy depends upon the nature of the underlying disorder, the hemostatic defect, and the degree of hemorrhagic risk.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Evaluation of an automated bleeding time device in the newborn.Am J Hematol. 1990; 35: 275
- Bleeding time in normal children.J Pediatr Hematol/ Oncol. 1995; 17: 25
- Platelet abnormalities in infancy and childhood.in: Nathan D.G. Orkin S.H. Nathan and Oski’s Hematology of Infancy and Childhood. ed 5. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1998: 1585
- EDTA-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia: A clinical and epidemiological study of 112 cases, with 10-year follow-up.Am J Hematol. 1995; 50: 103
- Prospective evaluation of the clinical usefulness of an antigen-specific assay (MAIPA) in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura and other immune thrombocytopenias.Blood. 1996; 88: 194
- A compative study of variables affecting the bleeding time using two disposable devices.Am J Clin Pathol. 1989; 91: 45
- Hematologic supportive care of the pediatric cancer patient.in: Pizzo P.A. Poplack D.G. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology. ed 3. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1997: 1051
- The Platelet Function Analyzer (PFA-100): a novel in-vitro system for evaluation of primary haemostasis in children.Br J Haematol. 1998; 101: 70
- Thrombocytosis in childhood: A survey of 94 patients.Pediatr. 1989; 84: 1064
- Evaluation of platelet function.Semin Hematol. 1986; 23: 89
- Normal and abnormal bleeding times in neonates and young children utilizing a fully standardized template technic.Am J Clin Pathol. 1980; 74: 73
- Screening for von Willebrand disease with a new analyzer using high shear stress: A study of 60 cases.Blood. 1998; 91: 1325
- Glanzmann’s thrombasthenia: The spectrum of clinical disease.Blood. 1990; 75: 1383
- The clinical usefulness of the preoperative bleeding time.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1996; 120: 353
- Severe hemorrhage in a patient with gray platelet syndrome.J Pediatr. 1986; 109: 1017
- Thrombocytosis in pediatric outpatients.J Pediatr. 1989; 114: 805
- Thrombocytopenia in the neonate.Pediatr Clin North Am. 1996; 43: 737
- Relationship between human development and disappearance of unusually large von Willebrand factor multimers from plasma.Blood. 1989; 73: 1851
- Leukocyte reduction and ultraviolet B irradiation of platelets to prevent alloimmunization and refractoriness to platelet transfusions. The Trial to Reduce Alloimmunization to Platelets Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1861
- The bleeding time does not predict surgical bleeding.Blood. 1991; 77: 2547
- Bernard-Soulier syndrome.Blood. 1998; 91: 4397
- PFA-100 system: A new method for assessment of platelet dysfunction.Semin Thromb Hemost. 1998; 24: 195
- Desmopressin (DDAVP) in the treatment of bleeding disorders: The first 20 years.Blood. 1997; 90: 2515
- Hemostatic drugs.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 245
- Flow cytometry: A clinical test of platelet function.Blood. 1996; 87: 4925
- The diagnostic value of thrombopoietin level measurements in thrombocytopenia.Thromb Haemost. 1998; 79: 1101
- The threshold for prophylactic platelet transfusions in adults with acute myeloid leukemia.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1870
- A critical reappraisal of the bleeding time.Semin Thromb Hemost. 1990; 16: 1
- The bleeding time may be longer in children than in adults.Am J Pediatr Hematol/Oncol. 1990; 12: 314
- Optimizing platelet transfusions in chronically thrombocytopenic patients.Semin Hematol. 1998; 35: 269
- Thrombocytopenia: Mechanisms and management of defects in platelet production.Clin Hematol. 1978; 7: 523
- Haematological reference ranges for school-children.Clin Lab Haematol. 1997; 19: 1
- The red cell transfusion trigger: Has a sin of commission now become a sin of omission?.Transfusion. 1998; 38: 602
- Laboratory investigation of immune thrombocytopenia.J Clin Pathol. 1997; 50: 5
- von Willebrand disease in children and adolescents.Pediatr Clin North Am. 1996; 43: 683
- Laboratory investigation of platelet function: A review of methodology.J Clin Pathol. 1986; 39: 701
- Thrombocytosis. Etiologic analysis of 663 patients.Clin Pediatr. 1994; 33: 340
© 1999 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.