This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Telomerase activity is detectable in the majority of cervical squamous cell carcinomas, possibly through interaction with human papillomavirus E6 oncoprotein. Telomerase activity can also be detected in dysplastic epithelium, but the significance of this is obscured by enzyme activity in nondysplastic basal and parabasal cells. The presence of hTR and HTERT expression in many non- neoplastic cells with undetectable or low levels of enzyme activity suggests that telomerase activation is regulated.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Telomerase activation in cervical cancer.Am J Pathol. 1997; 151: 25
- Human telomerase RNA and telomerase activity in immortal cell lines and tumor tissues.Cancer Res. 1996; 56: 645
- Effects of acetic acid on telomerase activity in cervical intraepithelial neoplasia.Gynecol Oncol. 1998; 71: 99
- Telomeres and telomerase: Biological and clinical importance.Clin Chem. 1997; 43: 708
- Human telomeres are attached to the nuclear matrix.EMBO J. 1992; 11: 717
- The RNA component of human telomerase.Science. 1995; 269: 1236
- Telomerase activity in human gynaecological malignancies.J Clin Pathol. 1997; 50: 501
- Creation of tumour cells with defined genetic elements.Nature. 1999; 400: 464
- A mammalian telomerase-associated protein.Science. 1997; 275: 973
- New method to measure telomerase activity by transcription-mediated amplification and hybridization protection assay.Clin Chem. 1998; 44: 2446
- Refining the telomere-telomerase hypothesis of aging and cancer.Nat Biotechnol. 1996; 14: 836
- Telomerase activation in cervical neoplasia.Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 91: 260
- Telomerase activity and human papillomavirus (HPV) infection in human uterine cervical cancers and cervical smears.Eur J Cancer. 1998; 34: 2082
- Specific association of human telomerase activity with immortal cells and cancer.Science. 1994; 266: 2011
- Telomerase activation by the E6 gene product of human papillomavirus type 16.Nature. 1996; 380: 79
- Telomerase activity in gynecological tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 1996; 2: 2023
- Application of telomerase assay for the screening of cervical lesions.Cancer Res. 1997; 57: 1863
- Telomerase activity in cervical cancer is quantitatively distinct from that in its precursor lesions.Int J Cancer. 1998; 79: 66
- Quantitative assays for telomerase: A means for studying the end.Clin Chem. 1998; 44: 2399
- Applications of telomerase research in the fight against cancer.Mol Med Today. 1999; 5: 114
- hEST2, the putative human telomerase catalytic subunit gene, is up-regulated in tumor cells and during immortalization.Cell. 1997; 90: 785
- Telomerase activity and human papillomavirus in malignant, premalignant and benign cervical lesions.Br J Cancer. 1998; 78: 933
- Semiquantitative analysis of telomerase activity in cervical cancer and precancerous lesions.Oncol Rep. 1999; 6: 325
- Telomerase catalysic subunit homologs from fission yeast and human.Science. 1997; 277: 955
- Telomerase activity and expression of telomerase RNA component and telomerase catalytic subunit gene in cervical cancer.Am J Pathol. 1998; 153: 857
- Telomerase activity in the uterine cervix and uterine body.Nippon Rinsho. 1998; 56: 1305
- Differential expression of telomerase activity in human cervical cancer and cervical intraepithelial neoplasia lesions.J Clin Oncol. 1997; 15: 1932
- Telomeres, telomerase, and immortality.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1995; 87: 884
- Telomerase in the early detection of cancer.J Clin Pathol. 1997; 50: 106
- Telomerase expression in normal epithelium, reactive atypia, squamous dysplasia, and squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix.Am J Clin Pathol. 1998; 109: 153
- Telomerase activity in cervical carcinomas and a subset of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade III lesions: Strong association with elevated messenger RNA levels of it catalytic subunit and high-risk human papillomavirus DNA.Cancer Res. 1998; 58: 3812
- Tumor specific regulation of telomerase RNA gene expression visualized by in situ hybridization.Oncogene. 1998; 16: 979
- Amplification, increased dosage and in situ expression of the telomerase RNA gene in human cancer.Oncogene. 1997; 14: 1013
- Telomerase activity and its inhibition in benign and malignant breast lesions.J Pathol. 1997; 183: 57
- Cloning of human telomerase catalytic subunit (hTERT) gene promoter and identification of proximal core promoter sequences essential for transcriptional activation in immortalized and cancer cells.Cancer Res. 1999; 59: 551
- Expression of human telomerase subunits and correlation with telomerase activity in cervical cancer.Cancer Res. 1998; 58: 1558
- Telomerase activity as a biomarker for (pre)neoplastic cervical disease in scrapings and frozen sections from patients with abnormal cervical smear.J Clin Oncol. 1998; 16: 2238
- Quantitative reverse transcription-PCR assay of the RNA component of human telomerase using the TaqMan fluorogenic detection system.Clin Chem. 1998; 44: 2441
- Telomerase activity and expression of its RNA component in cervical lesions.Cancer. 1998; 82: 1319
- Expression of telomerase catalytic component, telomerase reverse transcriptase, in human gastric cancer.Jpn J Cancer Res. 1998; 89: 1099
- Telomerase activity in the female reproductive tract and neoplasms.Gynecol Oncol. 1998; 68: 145
- Clinical significance of telomerase activation and telomeric restriction fragment (TRF) in cervical cancer.Eur J Cancer. 1999; 35: 154
- Telomerase activation in vitro and in vivo cervical carcinogenesis.Gynecol Oncol. 1997; 66: 222
© 2000 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.