This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Of the many functions that parathyroid hormone serves, none is more important than its role to maintain calcium homeostasis. Intrinsic to the aging process is changes in the synthesis, metabolism, and responsiveness of parathyroid hormone. This article explores whether the age-associated changes in parathyroid hormone are causally related to the age-associated changes in bone mass. On the other hand, some of the apparent changes in parathyroid hormone associated with aging may be adaptive, serving to protect the aging skeleton. More information is needed to sort out these diametrically opposite views.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Estrogens and postmenopausal osteoporosis: Was Albright right after all?.J Bone Miner Res. 1998; 13: 774-776
- Clinical presentation of primary hyperparathyroidism.in: Bilezikian J.P. Marcus R. Levine M.A. The Parathyroids. Raven Press, New York1994: 457-470
- Circadian variation in ionized calcium and intact parathyroid hormone: Evidence for sex differences in calcium homeostasis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1991; 72: 77-82
- Response of the parathyroid gland to infusion of human parathyroid hormone (1-34).J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1991; 73: 1345-1351
- Predicting PTH pulses and patterns in osteoporosis.J Clin Invest. 1995; 95: 2433-2434
- Increase in serum BGP with aging in women: Implications for the mechanism of age-related bone loss.J Clin Invest. 1983; 71: 1316-1321
- Bone remodeling.in: Coe F.L. Favus M.J. Disorders of Bone and Mineral Metabolism. Raven Press, New York1992: 355-382
- Concurrent assays of circulating bone GLA protein and bone alkaline phosphatase: Effects of age, sex and metabolic bone disease.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1988; 66: 951-957
- Suggestive linkage of the parathyroid receptor type I to osteoporosis.J Bone Miner Res. 1999; 14: 1993-1999
- Abnormalities in circadian patterns of bone resorption and renal calcium conservation in type I osteoporosis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1992; 74: 487-494
- Bone formation rate in older normal women: Concurrent assessment with bone histomorphometry, calcium kinetics, and biochemical markers.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1988; 67: 741-748
- Skeletal responsiveness to endogenous parathyroid hormone in postmenopausal osteoporosis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1992; 75: 1033-1038
- Differences in serum bone GLA protein with age and sex.Lancet. 1987; 1: 307-310
- Pharmacological mechanisms of therapeutics: Parathyroid hormone.in: Bilezikian J.P. Raisz L.G. Rodan G.A. Principles of Bone Biology. Academic Press, San Diego1996: 993-1006
- Calciotropic hormones and bone markers in the elderly.J Bone Miner Res. 1988; 13: 475-482
- Aging and renal responsiveness to parathyroid hormone in healthy men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996; 81: 2192-2197
- A unified concept of osteoporosis.Am J Med. 1965; 39: 377-380
- A defect in renal calcium conservation may contribute to the pathogenesis of postmenopausal osteoporosis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998; 83: 1916-1920
- Spinal osteoporosis and the menopause.Proc R Soc Med. 1965; 58: 441-444
- Increased osteoclast development after estrogen loss: Mediation by interleukin-6.Science. 1992; 257: 88-91
- Effects of age and estrogen status on serum parathyroid hormone levels and biochemical markers of bone turnover in women: A population-based study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997; 82: 1522-1527
- Relationship between serum intact PTH and bone remodeling in Type I osteoporosis: Evidence that skeletal sensitivity is increased.Osteoporosis. 1990; 1: 14-20
- Abnormalities of parathyroid hormone secretion in elderly women that are reversible by short term therapy with 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1994; 79: 211-216
- Interleukin-6-type cytokines and their receptors.in: Bilezikian J.P. Raisz L.G. Rodan G.A. Principles of Bone Biology. Academic Press, San Diego1996: 701-714
- Conjugated estrogens in the treatment of postmenopausal women with hyperparathyroidism.Ann Intern Med. 1984; 100: 633-640
- Temporal relationships between the circadian rhythms of serum PTH and calcium concentrations.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1988; 67: 1068-1073
- Mechanism of renal calcium conservation with estrogen replacement therapy in women in early postmenopause.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1995; 80: 3458-3464
- Role of estrogen deficiency in pathogenesis of secondary hyperparathyroidism and increased bone resorption in elderly women.Proc Assoc Am Physicians. 1997; 109: 174-180
- Association study of parathyroid hormone gene polymorphism and bone mineral density in Japanese postmenopausal women.Calcif Tissue Int. 1999; 64: 205-208
- Advances in immunoassays for parathyroid hormone: Clinical applications in skeletal disorders of bone and mineral metabolism.in: Bilezikian J.P. Marcus R. Levine M. The Parathyroids. Raven Press, New York1994: 157-170
- Histomorphometric analysis of bone in primary hyperparathyroidism.in: Bilezikian J.P. Marcus R. Levine M.A. The Parathyroids. Raven Press, New York1994: 567-574
- Time series prediction of plasma concentration: Evidence for differences in predictability of parathyroid hormone secretion between osteoporotic and normal controls.J Clin Invest. 1995; 95: 2910-2919
- A unitary model for involutional osteoporosis: estrogen deficiency causes both type I and type II osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and contributes to bone loss in aging men.J Bone Miner Res. 1998; 13: 763-773
- Evidence for two distinct syndromes of involutional osteoporosis.Am J Med. 1983; 75: 899-901
- Long-term effects of calcium supplementation on serum parathyroid hormone level, bone turnover, and bone loss in elderly women.J Bone Miner Res. 1998; 13: 168-174
- Episodic secretion of parathyroid hormone in postmenopausal women: Assessment by deconvolution analysis and approximate entropy.J Bone Miner Res. 1997; 12: 616-623
- Ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone in the treatment of primary hyperparathyroidism in postmenopausal women.N Engl J Med. 1986; 314: 1481-1485
- The effects of oral phosphate on major indices of skeletal metabolism in normal subjects.J Bone Miner Res. 1986; 1: 383
- Abnormalities in parathyroid hormone secretion and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 formation in women with osteoporosis.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 277-281
- Osteoporosis.in: Becker L.L. Principles and Practice of Endocrinology and Metabolism. ed 2. Lippincott, Philadelphia1995: 567-584
- Bone responsiveness to parathyroid hormone in normal and osteoporotic postmenopausal women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1989; 69: 1024-1027
- Histomorphometric analysis of bone biopsies form the iliac crest of normal British subjects.Metab Bone Dis Relat Res. 1982; 4: 231-236
- Histomorphometric analysis of dynamic parameters of trabecular bone formation in the iliac crest of normal British subjects.Metab Bone Dis Relat Res. 1983; 5: 69-74
© 2000 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.