Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
- Integrated HIV prevention and care strengthens primary health care: lessons from rural Haiti.J Public Health Policy. 2004; 25: 137-158
- Laboratory diagnosis of tuberculosis in resource-poor countries: challenges and opportunities.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2011; 24: 314-350
- Roles of laboratories and laboratory systems in effective tuberculosis programmes.Bull World Health Organ. 2007; 85: 354-359
- Chronic infectious disease and the future of health care delivery.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 2424-2436
- Implementation of HIV and tuberculosis diagnostics: the importance of context.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 61: S119-S125
- Laboratory medicine in Africa: a barrier to effective health care.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 42: 377-382
- Improved specimen-referral system and increased access to quality laboratory services in Ethiopia: the role of the public-private partnership.J Infect Dis. 2016; 213: S59-S64
The World Bank. The World Bank in Haiti. 2015. Available at: http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/haiti/overview. Accessed July 29, 2017.
UNDP. Human Development Report 2016. United Nations Development Programme 1 UN Plaza, New York, NY 10017 USA. 2017. Available at: http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/2016_human_development_report.pdf. Accessed July 29, 2017.
UNAIDS. HIV and AIDS estimates (2015). 2016. Available at: http://www.unaids.org/en/regionscountries/countries/haiti. Accessed July 29, 2017.
WHO. Tuberculosis Country Profiles – Haiti. 2016. Available at: http://www.who.int/tb/country/data/profiles/en/. Accessed July 29, 2017.
PIH. Cervical Cancer Program Expands in Haiti. 2016. Available at: https://www.pih.org/article/cervical-cancer-program-expands-in-haiti. Accessed July 29, 2017.
- Specimen referral network to rapidly scale-up CD4 testing: the hub and spoke model for Haiti.J AIDS Clin Res. 2015; 6: 1000488
USAID. Health Infrastructure Fact Sheets – Haiti. 2017. Available at: https://www.usaid.gov/sites/default/files/documents/1862/FINAL_HealthInfrastructure_March_2017_0.pdf. Accessed July 29, 2017.
PEPFAR. The PEPFAR perspective on laboratory infrastructure. 2013. Available at: http://www.poweringhealth.org/index.php/community/stories/item/337-the-pepfar-perspective-on-laboratory-infrastructure. Accessed July 29, 2017.
RAND Corporation. Estimating the global health impact of improved diagnostic tools for the developing world. Research highlights. 2007. Available at: http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_briefs/2007/RAND_RB9293.pdf. Accessed July 29, 2017.
- Evaluating diagnostic point-of-care tests in resource-limited settings.Lancet Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 239-249
PIH. Haiti. 2017. Available at: https://www.pih.org/country/haiti. Accessed July 29, 2017.
- Drone transport of microbes in blood and sputum laboratory specimens.J Clin Microbiol. 2016; 54: 2622-2625
- Can unmanned aerial systems (Drones) be used for the routine transport of chemistry, hematology, and coagulation laboratory specimens?.PLoS One. 2015; 10 (Available at:): e0134020
PIH. New Reference Laboratory to open in Haiti. 2016. Available at: https://www.pih.org/article/new-reference-laboratory-to-open-in-haiti. Accessed July 30, 2017.
PIH. Haiti’s new Pathology lab accelerates cancer diagnosis. 2016. Available at: https://www.pih.org/article/haitis-new-pathology-lab-accelerates-cancer-diagnosis. Accessed July 30, 2017.
The Haitian Times. Hopital Universitaire De Mirebalais’ New Lab Will Help Save Lives. 2016. Available at: http://haitiantimes.com/2016/07/11/hopital-universitaire-de-mirebalais-new-lab-will-help-save-lives/. Accessed July 30, 2017.
PIH. PIH Hosts First Cross-Site Lab Training. 2017. Available at: https://www.pih.org/article/pih-hosts-first-cross-site-lab-training. Accessed July 30, 2017.
WHO: International Agency for Research on Cancer. International cancer community welcomes global initiative for cancer registry development in low- and middle-income countries. 2011. Available at: http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/iarcnews/pdf/GICR.pdf. Accessed July 30, 2017.
- A vision for global cancer medicine: pursuing the equity of chance.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 34: 3-5
- The global economic cost of cancer.American Cancer Society and Livestrong, Atlanta (GA)2010
- Cost of providing quality cancer care at the Butaro Cancer Center of Excellence in Rwanda.J Glob Oncol. 2017; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Partners in pathology: a collaborative model to bring pathology to resource-poor settings.Am J Surg Pathol. 2010; 34: 118-123
- The Haiti breast cancer initiative: initial findings and analysis of barriers-to-care delaying patient presentation.J Oncol. 2013; 2013: 206367
Available at: https://www.pih.org/article/haitis-new-pathology-lab-accelerates-cancer-diagnosis. Accessed July 30, 2017.
- Reduced premature mortality in Rwanda: lessons from success.BMJ. 2013; 346: f65
- Pursing equity in cancer care:implementation, challenges and preliminary findings of a public cancer referral center in rural Rwanda.BMC Cancer. 2016; 16: 237-248
- Increasing global access to cancer care: models of care with non-oncologists as primary providers.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 1000-1002
- Diagnosis of cancer in rural Rwanda: early outcomes of a phased approach to implement anatomic pathology services in resource-limited settings.Am J Clin Pathol. 2014; 142: 541-545
- Implementation and validation of telepathology triage at cancer referral center in rural Rwanda.J Glob Oncol. 2016; 2: 76-82
Scott K. The Laboratory Workforce Shortage Demands New Solutions. 2015. Clinical Laboratory News.
- An examination of the supply and demand for clinical laboratory professionals in the United States.Transfusion. 2009; 49: 2520-2523
- Strengthening laboratory systems in resource-limited settings.Am J Clin Pathol. 2010; 134: 374-380
- External quality assessment of reading and interpretation of malaria rapid diagnostic tests among 1849 end-users in the democratic republic of the Congo through short message service (SMS).PLoS One. 2013; 8: e71442
- End-user errors in applying two malaria rapid diagnostic tests in a remote area of Sudan.Trop Med Int Health. 2008; 13: 406-409
- Ebola virus: for want of gloves, doctors die.Wall Str J. 2014; (Available at:) (Accessed July 29, 2017)
- Building laboratory infrastructure to support scale-up of HIV/AIDS treatment, care, and prevention: in-country experience.Am J Clin Pathol. 2009; 131: 875-886
- Laboratory systems and services are critical in global health: time to end the neglect?.Am J Clin Pathol. 2010; 134: 368-373
- External quality assessment in resource–limited countries.Biochem Med (Zagreb). 2017; 27: 97-109
- Microscopy quality control in Médecins Sans Frontières programs in resource-limited settings.PLoS Med. 2010; 7: e1000206
- Quality of medical laboratory services in resource-limited settings.Afr J Infect Dis. 2012; 6: 10-11
- The year that Ebola virus took over West Africa: missed opportunities for prevention.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015; 92: 229-232
- Emergence of Zaire Ebola virus disease in Guinea.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1418-1425
- How Ebola roared back.New York Times. 2014;
- Doing today’s work superbly well — treating Ebola with current tools.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1565-1566
- West African Ebola epidemic after one year—slowing but not yet under control.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 584-587
- Clinical management of Ebola virus disease in the United States and Europe.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 636-646
- Diary.London Review of Books. 2014; 36: 38-39
- An outbreak of Ebola virus disease in the Lassa fever zone.J Infect Dis. 2016; 214: S110-S121
- Clinical illness and outcomes in patients with Ebola in Sierra Leone.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 2092-2100
- Time for a model list of essential diagnostics.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 2511-2514
Disclosure Statement: The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.