Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
- Acute diarrhea in adults and children: a global perspective.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2013; 47: 12-20
- The global burden of diarrhoeal disease, as estimated from studies published between 1992 and 2000.Bull World Health Organ. 2003; 81: 197-204
- Clinical practice. Acute infectious diarrhea.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 38-47
- The etiology of severe acute gastroenteritis among adults visiting emergency departments in the United States.J Infect Dis. 2012; 205: 1374-1381
- Magnitude and impact of diarrheal diseases.Arch Med Res. 2002; 33: 351-355
- Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality: an updated systematic analysis for 2010 with time trends since 2000.Lancet. 2012; 379: 2151-2161
- Global burden of childhood pneumonia and diarrhoea.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1405-1416
- Outbreaks of acute gastroenteritis transmitted by person-to-person contact–United States, 2009-2010.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2012; 61: 1-12
- Infectious enteritis and foodborne illness in the United States, 2010 statistical brief #150. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) statistical briefs.([Internet]) Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (US), Rockville (MD)2013 (Available at:)Accessed November 1, 2014)
- Defining the metabolic requirements for the growth and colonization capacity of Campylobacter jejuni.Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2014; 4: 137
- Nontyphoid salmonella infection: microbiology, clinical features, and antimicrobial therapy.Pediatr Neonatol. 2013; 54: 147-152
- Molecular and epidemiologic trends of caliciviruses associated with outbreaks of acute gastroenteritis in the United States, 2000-2004.J Infect Dis. 2006; 193: 413-421
- Risk factors for norovirus, Sapporo-like virus, and group A rotavirus gastroenteritis.Emerg Infect Dis. 2003; 9: 1563-1570
- Norovirus gastroenteritis in immunocompromised patients.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 2126-2132
- Parasitic infections of the gastrointestinal tract.Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2001; 30: 797-815
- Gastrointestinal infections in the immunocompromised host.Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2005; 21: 39-43
- Evaluation of five new plating media for isolation of Salmonella species.J Clin Microbiol. 1995; 33: 802-804
- Comparison of four chromogenic media and Hektoen agar for detection and presumptive identification of Salmonella strains in human stools.J Clin Microbiol. 2003; 41: 1130-1134
- ABC medium, a new chromogenic agar for selective isolation of Salmonella spp.J Clin Microbiol. 1999; 37: 766-768
- Enteric infections and diagnostic testing.Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2009; 25: 1-7
- Comparison of CHROMagar Salmonella medium and Hektoen enteric agar for isolation of salmonellae from stool samples.J Clin Microbiol. 1999; 37: 762-765
- Practice guidelines for the management of infectious diarrhea.Clin Infect Dis. 2001; 32: 331-351
- Short communication: Misleading microscopy in amoebiasis.Trop Med Int Health. 2004; 9: 651-652
- Pathology consultation on detection of Clostridium difficile.Am J Clin Pathol. 2012; 137: 10-15
- Advanced techniques for detection and identification of microbial agents of gastroenteritis.Clin Lab Med. 2013; 33: 527-552
- Update on the burden of Campylobacter in developing countries.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2014; 27: 444-450
- Detection of Campylobacter in stool and determination of significance by culture, enzyme immunoassay, and PCR in developing countries.J Clin Microbiol. 2014; 52: 1074-1080
Cepheid Xpert Norovirus assay. Available at: http://www.cepheid.com/administrator/components/com_productcatalog/library-files/f5e5a03863c93410f24f504b8aafa955-Xpert-Norovirus-Brochure-EU-3013-04.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2014.
- Global prevalence of norovirus in cases of gastroenteritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 725-730
- Norovirus: targets and tools in antiviral drug discovery.Biochem Pharmacol. 2014; 91: 1-11
- Cost analysis of multiplex PCR testing for diagnosing respiratory virus infections.J Clin Microbiol. 2009; 47: 2812-2817
- Emerging molecular assays for detection and characterization of respiratory viruses.Clin Lab Med. 2009; 29: 673-693
- Molecular assays for the detection and characterization of respiratory viruses.Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2011; 32: 512-526
- Evaluation of multiple test methods for the detection of the novel 2009 influenza A (H1N1) during the New York City outbreak.J Clin Virol. 2009; 45: 191-195
- Comparison of the GenMark Diagnostics eSensor respiratory viral panel to real-time PCR for detection of respiratory viruses in children.J Clin Microbiol. 2012; 50: 3458-3465
- Molecular detection of respiratory viruses.Clin Lab Med. 2013; 33: 439-460
- Development and assessment of molecular diagnostic tests for 15 enteropathogens causing childhood diarrhoea: a multicentre study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 716-724
- Microbiologic methods utilized in the MAL-ED cohort study.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: S225-S232
- The increasing application of multiplex nucleic acid detection tests to the diagnosis of syndromic infections.Epidemiol Infect. 2014; 142: 1-11
- Added value of multiplex Luminex Gastrointestinal Pathogen Panel (xTAG® GPP) testing in the diagnosis of infectious gastroenteritis.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2014; 20: O182-O187
- Evaluation of Luminex xTAG gastrointestinal pathogen analyte-specific reagents for high-throughput, simultaneous detection of bacteria, viruses, and parasites of clinical and public health importance.J Clin Microbiol. 2013; 51: 3018-3024
- Nanolitre real-time PCR detection of bacterial, parasitic, and viral agents from patients with diarrhoea in Nunavut, Canada.Int J Circumpolar Health. 2013; 72: 19903
- A single-tube multiplex PCR for rapid detection in feces of 10 viruses causing diarrhea.J Virol Methods. 2011; 173: 390-393
- Enhanced enteric virus detection in sporadic gastroenteritis using a multi-target real-time PCR panel: a one-year study.J Med Virol. 2014; 86: 1594-1601
- Development and clinical validation of multiplex TaqMan® assays for rapid diagnosis of viral gastroenteritis.J Med Virol. 2011; 83: 1650-1656
- A multiplex PCR/LDR assay for simultaneous detection and identification of the NIAID category B bacterial food and water-borne pathogens.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014; 79: 135-140
- Pentaplex PCR assay for detection of hemorrhagic bacteria from stool samples.J Clin Microbiol. 2014; 52: 3244-3249
- Evaluation of multiplex PCR with enhanced spore germination for detection of Clostridium difficile from stool samples of the hospitalized patients.Biomed Res Int. 2013; 2013: 875437
- Characterization of diarrheagenic antimicrobial resistant Escherichia coli isolated from pediatric patients in Tehran, Iran.Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2014; 16: e12329
- Establishment and application of multiplex PCR for non-O157 H7 STEC virulence genes detection.Zhonghua Shi Yan He Lin Chuang Bing Du Xue Za Zhi. 2013; 27: 388-391
Luminex xTAG GPP K121894. 2013. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/reviews/K121894.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2014.
Luminex xTAG GPP K140377. 2014. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/reviews/k140377.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2014.
BioFire’s FilmArray GI panel K140407. 2014. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/reviews/k140407.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2014.
PathoFinder’s GastroFinder Smart 17 Fast. 2013. Available at: http://www.pathofinder.com/products/smartfinder/gastrofinder-smart-17-fast. Accessed November 1, 2014.
Verigene® Enteric Pathogens Nucleic Acid Test (EP) K140083. 2014. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf14/K140083.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2014.
BD MAX Enteric Bacterial Panel K140111. 2014. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf14/K140111.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2014.
Hologic (Gen-Probe) ProGastro SSCS Assay K123274. 2013. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf12/K123274.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2014.
- Clinical evaluation of a real-time PCR assay for identification of Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter (Campylobacter jejuni and C. coli), and Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli isolates in stool specimens.J Clin Microbiol. 2013; 51: 4001-4007
Serosep. Available at: http://www.entericbio.com. Accessed November 1, 2014.
- Improved detection of bacterial pathogens in patients presenting with gastroenteritis by use of the EntericBio real-time Gastro Panel I assay.J Clin Microbiol. 2013; 51: 2679-2685
Genetic Signature. Available at: http://geneticsignatures.com/infectious-pathogen-detection/easyscreen-3base-technology/. Accessed November 1, 2014.
- Improved detection of gastrointestinal pathogens using generalised sample processing and amplification panels.Pathology. 2014; 46: 53-59
- Evaluation of the EasyScreen™ enteric parasite detection kit for the detection of Blastocystis spp., Cryptosporidium spp., Dientamoeba fragilis, Entamoeba complex, and Giardia intestinalis from clinical stool samples.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014; 78: 149-152
R-Biopharma Web site. Available at: http://www.r-biopharm.com/products/clinical-diagnostics/molecular-diagnostics. Accessed November 1, 2014.
Fast-track Diagnostics. Available at: http://www.fast-trackdiagnostics.com/products/. Accessed November 1, 2014.
Diagenode Diagnostics. Available at: http://www.diagenodediagnostics.com/en/list-products-2.php. Accessed November 1, 2014.
- A parallel diagnostic accuracy study of three molecular panels for the detection of bacterial gastroenteritis.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014; 33: 2075-2081
Genomica. Available at: http://www.genomica.es/en/in_vitro_diagnostics_clart_enterobac.cfm. Accessed November 1, 2014.
AusDiagnostics. Available at: http://www.ausdiagnostics.com/qilan/ADMainGeneList.jsp?ProductID=1142&CatNo=6509001. Accessed November 1, 2014.
- Cryptosporidium spp., Dientamoeba fragilis, Entamoeba histolytica, and Giardia intestinalis in clinical stool samples.J Clin Microbiol. 2011; 49: 257-262
Seegene. Available at: http://www.seegene.com/neo/en/introduction/core_dpo.php. Accessed November 1, 2014.
- Simultaneous detection of viral and bacterial enteric pathogens using the Seeplex® Diarrhea ACE detection system.Epidemiol Infect. 2013; 141: 2111-2121
- Evaluation of a multiplex PCR assay for simultaneous detection of bacterial and viral enteropathogens in stool samples of paediatric patients.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014; 79: 149-154
- Simultaneous detection of gastrointestinal pathogens with a multiplex Luminex-based molecular assay in stool samples from diarrhoeic patients.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013; 19: E458-E465
- Site-specific clinical evaluation of the Luminex xTAG gastrointestinal pathogen panel for detection of infectious gastroenteritis in fecal specimens.J Clin Microbiol. 2014; 52: 3068-3071
- Aetiology of traveller's diarrhoea: evaluation of a multiplex PCR tool to detect different enteropathogens.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2014; 20: O753-O759
- Gastrointestinal pathogens detected by multiplex nucleic acid amplification testing in stools of pediatric patients and patients returning from the tropics.Infection. 2014; 42: 961-970
- Rapid screening method for multiple gastroenteric pathogens also detects novel enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O104:H4.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 82-83
- Performance of the xTAG® gastrointestinal pathogen panel, a multiplex molecular assay for simultaneous detection of bacterial, viral, and parasitic causes of infectious gastroenteritis.J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2013; 23: 1041-1045
- Multiplex molecular testing for management of infectious gastroenteritis in a hospital setting: a comparative diagnostic and clinical utility study.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2014; 20: O460-O467
- Comparative evaluation of two commercial multiplex panels for detection of gastrointestinal pathogens by use of clinical stool specimens.J Clin Microbiol. 2014; 52: 3667-3673
- Utility of two novel multiplexing assays for the detection of gastrointestinal pathogens - a first experience.Springerplus. 2013; 2: 106
Funding: This study was supported in part by a clinical trial contract between the Vanderbilt University Medical Center and the Luminex Corporation (VUMC 38228) as well as a research agreement between the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the Luminex Corporation (SK2013-0929) awarded to Y.-W. Tang.
Disclosure: H. Zhang and S. Morrison are employees of Luminex Corporation, the commercial manufacturer of the xTAG Gastrointestinal Pathogen Panel.