- Kelly J.
- Rosenbaum C.D.
- Carreiro S.P.
- Babu K.M.
- Carvalho M.
- Carmo H.
- Costa V.M.
- et al.
- •Use of “bath salts” is attractive to young adults largely because of their stimulatory and hallucinogenic properties.
- •Synthetic cathinones are the major components of bath salts but other classes of designer amines have also been incorporated in second-generation “legal high” or bath salts products.
- •There are four major reactions involved in the metabolism of synthetic cathinones but the major metabolic pathway utilized vary among the different classes of synthetic cathinones.
- •Rapid changes in the composition of bath salts pose tremendous challenge in the development of targeted methods for its laboratory analysis; high resolution mass spectrometry is well-suited to respond to this challenge.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
- Cathinone derivatives: a review of their chemistry, pharmacology and toxicology.Drug Test Anal. 2011; 3: 439-453
- Here today, gone, tomorrow… and back again?.J Med Toxicol. 2012; 8: 15-32
- Toxicity of amphetamines: an update.Arch Toxicol. 2012; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Synthetic cathinones (bath salts): legal status and patterns of abuse.Ann Pharmacother. 2012; 46: 436-441
- Designer drugs: a medicinal chemistry perspective.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2012; 1248: 18-38
- Clinical toxicology of newer recreational drugs.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2011; 49: 705-719
- Methcathinone: a new postindustrial drug.Forensic Sci Int. 2005; 197: 159
- Manganese-induced Parkinsonism associated with methcathinone (Ephedrone) abuse.Arch Neurol. 2007; 64: 886-889
- Beta-keto amphetamines: studies on the metabolism of the designer drug mephedrone and toxicological detection of mephedrone, butylone, and methylone in urine using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.Anal Bioanal Chem. 2010; 397: 1225-1233
- Studies on the metabolism of the α-pyrrolidinophenone designer drug methylenedioxy-pyrovalerone (MDPV) in rat and human urine and human liver microsomes using GC-MS and LC-high resolution MS and its detectability in urine by GC-MS.J Mass Spectrosc. 2010; 45: 1426-1442
- Toxicological determination and in vitro metabolism of the designer drug methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV) by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry and liquid chromatography/quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry.Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2010; 24: 2706-2714
- Studies on the phase I metabolism of the new designer drug 3-fluoromethcathinone using rabbit liver slices.Int J Legal Med. 2011; 126: 231-240
- Metabolism of the recently encountered designer drug, methylone, in humans and rats.Xenobiotica. 2006; 36: 709-723
- Generation of metabolites by an automated online metabolism method using human liver microsomes with subsequent identification by LC-MS(n), and metabolism of 11 cathinones.Anal Bioanal Chem. 2012; 402: 2141-2151
- A review of the pharmacological properties of khat.Prog Neuro-Psychopharmacol Biol Psych. 2008; 32: 147-166
- Studies on the metabolism and toxicological detection of the new designer drug 4′-methyl-α-pyrrolidinopropiophenone in urine using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2001; 773: 25-33
- New designer drug 4′-methyl-α-pyrrolidinohexanophenone: studies on its metabolism and toxicological detection in urine using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2003; 789: 79-91
- Metabolism and toxicological detection of the new designer drug 4′-methoxy-α-pyrrolidinopropiophenone studied in rat urine using gas chromatography–mass spectrometry.J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2003; 793: 331-342
- Metabolism and toxicological detection of the new designer drug 3′,4′-methylenedioxy-α-pyrrolidinopropiophenone studied in rat urine using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2003; 793: 377-388
- Metabolism of the new designer drug α-pyrrolidinopropiophenone (PPP) and the toxicological detection of 4′-methyl-α-pyrrolidinopropiophenone (MPPP) studied in rat urine using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2003; 796: 253-266
- New designer drug α-pyrrolidinovalerophenone (PVP): studies on its metabolism and toxicological detection in rat urine using gas chromatographic/mass spectrometric techniques.J Mass Spectrom. 2008; 44: 952-964
- New cathinone-derived designer drugs 3-bromomethcathinone and 3-fluoromethcathinone: studies on their metabolism in rat urine and human liver microsomes using GC-MS and their detectability in urine.J Mass Spectrom. 2011; 47: 253-262
- The toxicology of bath salts: a review of synthetic cathinones.J Med Tox. 2011; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Recently abused beta-keto derivatives of methylenedioxyphenylalkylamines: a review of their metabolisms and toxicological analysis.Forensic Toxicol. 2011; 29: 73-84
- A web-based survey on mephedrone.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2011; s118: 19-22
- Clinical characteristics of mephedrone toxicity reported to the UK National Poisons Information Service.Emerg Med J. 2010; 28: 686-689
- The metabolism of pyrovalerone hydrochloride.J Med Chem. 1970; 13: 497-503
- The detection of mepherdrone (4-methylmethcathinone) in four fatalities in Scotland.Forensic Sci Int. 2010; 202: e62-e63
- Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry determination of mephedrone in drug seizures after derivatization with 2,2,2–trichloroethyl chloroformate.Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2011; 25: 387-390
- Characterization of three methcathinone analogs: 4-methylmethcathinone, methylone and bk-MBDB.DEA Microgram J. 2010; 7: 42-49
- Identification and characterization of the new designer drug 4′-methylcathinone (4-MEC) and elaboration of a novel liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) screening method for seven different methcathinone analogs.Forensic Sci Int. 2011; 210: 213-220
- Development of a rapid LC-MS/MS method for direct urinalysis of designer drugs.Drug Test Anal. 2011; 3: 496-504
- The disposition into hair of new designer drugs: methylone, MBDB, methcathinone.J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2007; 855: 121-126
Sørenson LK. Determination of cathinones and related ephedrines in forensic whole blood samples by liquid chromatography-electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 879:727–36.
- An analysis of the legal high mephedrone.Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2010; 20: 4135-4139
- The analysis of substituted cathinones.Forensic Sci Int. 2011; 212: 6-12
- The analysis of substituted cathinones.Forensic Sci Int. 2011; 22: 120-127
- Mephedrone (4-methylmethcathinone): what is new in our understanding of its use and toxicity.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2008; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Analyses of second-generation “legal highs” in the UK: initial findings.Drug Test Anal. 2010; 2: 377-382
- Analysis of NRG “legal highs” in the UK: Identification and formation of novel cathinones.Drug Test Anal. 2011; 3: 569-575
- Naphyrone: analytical profile of the new “legal high” substitute for mephedrone.J Forensic Legal Med. 2012; 18: 93
- An analysis of legal highs- do they contain what it says on the tin.Drug Test Anal. 2011; 3: 576-581
- Clinical experience with analytical confirmation of “bath salts” and “legal highs” (synthetic cathinones) in the United States.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2011; 49: 499-505
- Schedules of controlled substance: temporary placement of synthetic cathinones into Schedule I.Federal Regist. 2011; 76: 65371-65375
- Analysis of first and second generation legal highs for synthetic cannabinoids and synthetic stimulants by ultra-preformance liquid chromatography and time-of-flight mass spectrometry.J Anal Toxicol. 2012; 36: 360-371
- New designer drug of abuse: 3,4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV).Forensic Sci Int. 2011; 210: 195-200
- Urine analysis of 3,4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone in opioid-dependent patients by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.Ther Drug Monit. 2011; 33 (2011): 257-263
- Psychosis from a bath salt product containing flephedrone and MDPV with serum, urine and product quantification.J Med Toxicol. 2012; ([Epub ahead of print])
The authors have nothing to disclose.