The term “metanephric” literally refers to the permanent kidney, and hence, is not per se, a proper specific descriptor of a renal neoplasm. Nonetheless, this term has been applied to a series of benign neoplasms that include a purely epithelial lesion (metanephric adenoma), a purely stromal lesion (metanephric stromal tumor), and a mixed stromal-epithelial lesion (metanephric adenofibroma). These lesions are all recognized in the 2004 World Health Organization renal tumor classification [
]. The nature of these neoplasms is not entirely clear, yet it seems most likely that they are related to Wilms tumor, the most common renal neoplasm of childhood, which commonly features variable degrees of stromal and epithelial differentiation [
Eble J.N. Sauter G. Epstein J.I. World Health Organization classification of tumours. Pathology and genetics of tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs. IARC Press, Lyon (France)2004
]. Metanephric tumors are conceived of most readily as representing the most hyperdifferentiated, mature form of Wilms tumor. Rare reported neoplasms have had features of malignant Wilms tumor and benign metanephric neoplasms, and such cases may explain the rare metanephric neoplasms that have been reported to metastasize.
- Argani P.
- Beckwith J.B.
Renal neoplasms of childhood.
in: Mills S.E. Sternberg's diagnostic surgical pathology. 4th edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2003: 2001-2034
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Eble J.N. Sauter G. Epstein J.I. World Health Organization classification of tumours. Pathology and genetics of tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs. IARC Press, Lyon (France)2004
- Renal neoplasms of childhood.in: Mills S.E. Sternberg's diagnostic surgical pathology. 4th edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2003: 2001-2034
- Le néphrome néphronogène.Arch Anat Cytol Pathol. 1980; 28 ([in French]): 99-103
- Persistent renal blastema in an adult.Hum Pathol. 1984; 15: 791-793
- Metanephric adenoma. Clinicopathological study of fifty patients.Am J Surg Pathol. 1995; 19: 1101-1114
- Metanephric adenoma of the kidney. A clinicopathological, immunohistochemical, flow cytometric, cytogenetic, and electron microscopic study of seven cases.Am J Surg Pathol. 1995; 19: 615-626
- Papillary and metanephric adenomas of the kidney.Semin Diagn Pathol. 1998; 15: 41-53
- Metanephric adenoma and solid, tubulopapillary renal cell carcinoma: a comparative immunohistochemical study.Mod Pathol. 1999; 12: 104A
- Metanephric adenoma, nephrogenic rests, and Wilms tumor.Am J Surg Pathol. 2001; 25: 1290-1296
- Mapping a tumor suppressor gene to chromosome 2p13 in metanephric adenoma by microsatellite allelotyping.Hum Pathol. 2001; 32: 101-104
- Papillary (chromophil) renal cell carcinoma: histomorphologic characteristics and evaluation of conventional pathologic prognostic parameters in 62 cases.Am J Surg Pathol. 1997; 21: 621-635
- Papillary renal cell carcinoma: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 105 tumors.Mod Pathol. 1997; 10: 537-544
- Consistent expression of cytokeratin 7 in papillary renal-cell carcinoma. An immunohistochemical study in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues.J Urol Pathol. 1995; 3: 205-211
- Papillary renal cell carcinoma: a clinical, radiologic, and pathologic study of 34 cases.Cancer. 1976; 38: 2469-2480
- Papillary renal cell carcinoma. Histology and immunohistochemistry.Am J Surg Pathol. 1995; 19: 842-849
- Solid variants of papillary (chromophil) renal cell carcinoma: clinicopathologic and genetic features.Am J Surg Pathol. 1997; 21: 1203-1209
- Simultaneous chromosome 7 and 17 gain and sex chromosome loss provide evidence that renal metanephric adenoma is related to papillary renal cell carcinoma.J Urol. 1997; 158: 370-374
- Metaphase analysis of metanephric adenoma reveals chromosome Y loss with chromosome 7 and 17 gain.Urology. 1996; 48: 473-475
- Metanephric adenoma lacks the gains of chromosome 7 and 17 and loss of Y that are typical of papillary renal cell carcinoma and papillary adenoma.Mod Pathol. 2003; 16: 1060-1063
- Metastatic metanephric adenoma in a child.Am J Surg Pathol. 2000; 24: 570-574
- Nephrogenic adenofibroma. A novel kidney tumor of young people.Am J Surg Pathol. 1992; 16: 325-334
- Nephrogenic rests, nephroblastomatosis, and the pathogenesis of Wilms tumor.Pedriatr Pathol. 1990; 10: 1-36
- Metanephric adenoma of the kidney: A newly characterized entity.Adv Anat Path. 1996; 3: 172-178
- Metanephric stromal tumor: Report of 31 cases of a distinctive pediatric renal neoplasm.Am J Surg Pathol. 2000; 24: 917-926
- Mixed epithelial and stromal tumor of the kidney.Am J Surg Pathol. 2000; 24: 958-970
- Primary renal synovial sarcoma. Morphologic and molecular delineation of an entity previously included among embryonal sarcomas of the kidney.Am J Surg Pathol. 2000; 24: 1087-1096
- Clear cell sarcoma of the kidney: a review of 351 cases from the National Wilms Tumor Study Group Pathology Center.Am J Surg Pathol. 2000; 24: 4-18
- Nephrogenic adenofibroma: an unusual renal tumor.J Urol. 1997; 157: 1835-1836
- Benign adenomatous kidney neoplasms in children with polycythemia: imaging findings.Radiology. 1996; 198: 265-268
- Metanephric adenofibroma: report of a case and review of the literature.Am J Surg Pathol. 1999; 23: 727-733
- The spectrum of metanephric adenofibroma and related lesions. Clinicopathologic study of 25 cases from the National Wilms Tumor Pathology Center.Am J Surg Pathol. 2001; 24: 433-444
- Metanephric adenosarcoma in a young adult: morphologic, immunophenotypic, ultrastructural, and fluorescence in situ hybridization analysis.Am J Surg Pathol. 2001; 25: 1451-1457
© 2005 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.