Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
- Kohn L.T. Corriga J.M. Donaldson M.S. To err is human: building a safer health system. National Academy Press, Washington, DC1999
- The quality of health care delivered to adults in the United States.NEJM. 2003; 348: 2635-2645
- The Institutes of Medicine's report on medicine: implications for pathology.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 1674-1678
- Clinicians are from Mars and pathologists are from Venus. Clinician interpretation of pathology reports.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 1040-1046
Required Data Elements from CAP Cancer Checklists Mandated for Use by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Effective January 1, 2004. Available at: http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/cancer_protocols/protocols_intro.html. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- Interinstitutional assessment of colorectal carcinoma surgical pathology report adequacy: A College of American Pathologists Q-probes study of practice patterns from 532 laboratories and 15,940 reports.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1992; 116: 1113-1119
User centered software, using expert systems techniques, providing error free data collection solutions. Available at: http://www.mtuitive.com. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- Standardization of the surgical pathology report.Am J Surg Pathol. 1992; 16: 84-86
- Prognostic factors in prostate cancer. College of American Pathologists consensus statement 1999.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 995-1000
- Updated protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with carcinomas of the colon and rectum, excluding carcinoid tumors, lymphomas, sarcomas, and tumors of the vermiform appendix. A basis for checklists.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 1016-1025
- College of American Pathologists Conference XXXV: solid tumor prognostic factors—which, how and so what? Summary document and recommendations for implementation.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 958-965
- Updated protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with carcinomas of the breast. A basis for checklists.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 1026-1033
- Prognostic factors in breast cancer. College of American Pathologists Consensus Statement 1999.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 966-978
- Protocol for the examination of specimens removed from patients with colorectal carcinoma.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1994; 118: 122-125
- Prognostic factors in colorectal cancer. College of American Pathologists Consensus Statement 1999.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 979-994
- Quality assurance in cancer care: pathology.Cancer. 1989; 64: 244-248
- Practice guidelines and outcomes: where are we headed?.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1990; 114: 1122-1125
- Standardization of reports.Semin Diagn Pathol. 1994; 4: 253-257
- Synoptic surgical pathology reporting.Hum Pathol. 1991; 8: 807-810
- Standardized reporting of surgical pathology diagnoses for the major tumor types.Am J Clin Pathol. 1993; 100: 240-255
- Updated protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with carcinomas of the prostate gland. A basis for checklists.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 1034-1039
- The oncologic pathology report. Quality by design.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 1004-1010
Comment on the Protocols Summary of All Changes in the January 2004 Revision. Available at: http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/cancer_protocols/protocols_index.html. Accessed October 4, 2004.
CCOW. Information for the healthcare industry. Available at: http://www.ccow-info.com/#1. Accessed October 4, 2004.
HL7. Health Level 7. Available at: http://www.hl7.org. Accessed October 4, 2004.
The Leapfrog group for patient safety, rewarding higher standards. Available at: http://www.leapfroggroup.org/about.htm. Accessed October 4, 2004.
The Leapfrog group for patient safety, rewarding higher standards. Available at: http://www.leapfroggroup.org/consumer_intro2.htm. Accessed October 4, 2004.
National Quality Forum. The National Forum for Healthcare Quality Measurement and Reporting. Available at: http://www.qualityforum.org/txsafeexecsumm+order6-8-03PUBLIC.pdf. Accessed October 4, 2004.
Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes (LOINC®). Available at: http://www.loinc.org. Accessed October 4, 2004.
Regenstrief Institute. A Healthcare Laboratory and a Community of Scholars. Available at: http://www.regenstrief.org. Accessed October 4, 2004.
Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Laboratory Accreditation - Fast Track. Available at: http://www.jcaho.org/accredited+organizations/laboratory+services/1178 standards/revisions/04_lab_npsg.htm. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- Pathology abbreviated: a long review of short terms.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2004; 128 (Also available at:): 347-352
Association for Pathology Informatics, a Division of the American Society for Investigative Pathology (ASIP). Available at: http://www.pathologyinformatics.org. Accessed October 4, 2004.
Berman JJ. abbtwo.htm. Available at: http://www.pathologyinformatics.org/downloads/abbtwo.htm. Accessed October 4, 2004.
Department of Health and Human Services. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: http://www.phppo.cdc.gov/mlp/qiconference/Presentations/ZARBO-1185%20CDC%20talk%20∼1.pdf. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- The attributes of medical event reporting systems: experience with a prototype medical event reporting system for transfusion medicine.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1998; 122: 231-238
- Root cause analysis of laboratory delays to an emergency department.J Emerg Med. 1997; 15: 735-739
- Uncovering the causes of poor quality pathology laboratory services in acute myocardial infarction.J Qual Clin Pract. 1998; 18: 233-239
- Errors in histological grading by prostatic needle biopsy specimens: frequency and predisposing factors.J Pathol. 2000; 192: 229-233
- Consultative (expert) second opinions in soft tissue pathology. Analysis of problem-prone diagnostic situations.Am J Clin Pathol. 2001; 116: 473-476
- Problem areas in pathology practice uncovered by a review of malpractice claims.Am J Surg Pathol. 1994; 18: 821-831
- Discrepancies in diagnoses of neuroepithelial neoplasms.Cancer. 2000; 88: 2342-2349
- The value of second opinion in gastrointestinal and liver pathology.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2001; 125: 736-739
- Departmental audit in surgical anatomical pathology.Pathology. 1997; 29: 418-421
- Amended reports in surgical pathology and implications for diagnostic error detection and avoidance.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1998; 122: 303-309
- Sampling, sampling errors and specimen preparation.Acta Cytol. 2000; 44: 944-948
- “Individuality” in the specialty of surgical pathology. Self-expression or just another source of diagnostic error?.Am J Surg Pathol. 2000; 24: 1573-1576
- Pathologic diagnosis as the gold standard.Cancer. 1997; 79: 665-667
- Audit and feedback: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000; 2 (CD000259)
- Strategies for involving physicians in continuous quality improvement.J Healthc Qual. 1996; 18: 21-23
- Managing quality in hospital practice.Int J Qual Health Care. 1998; 10: 295-302
- Local audit of surgical pathology. 18 months' experience of peer-review-based quality assessment in an English teaching hospital.Am J Surg Pathol. 1992; 16: 476-482
- Monitoring anatomic pathology practice through quality assurance measures.Clin Lab Med. 1999; 19: 713-742
Six Sigma Basics: Process improvement, goals and measurements. Available at: http://www.westgard.com/lesson65.htm. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- Evaluating laboratory performance on quality indicators with the six sigma scale.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000; 124: 516-519
Six Sigma Basics: Outcome Measurement of Process Performance. Available at: http://www.westgard.com/lesson65.htm. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- Out of the crisis.MIT Center for Advanced Study, Cambridge (MA)1987
SNOMED CT. available at: http://www.snomed.org/snomedct/index.html. Accessed October 4, 2004.
SNOMED CT. Available at: http://www.snomed.org/news/index.html.1233. Accessed October 4, 2004.
SNOMED News Release. Available at: http://www.snomed.org/news/documents/050404_E_NLMPressRelease_1234 Final_001.pdf. Accessed October 4, 2004.
Improving patient safety: health systems reporting, analysis, and safety Improvement research demonstrations. Available at: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-HS-011.html. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- Cervical cancers diagnosed after negative results on cervical cytology: perspective in the 1980s.BMJ. 1990; 300: 1622-1626
- False negatives in focused rescreening of Papanicolaou smears: how frequently are “abnormal” cells detected in retrospective review of smears preceding cancer or high-grade intraepithelial neoplasia?.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1997; 121: 273-276
- Prospective peer review in surgical pathology.Amer J Clin Path. 1995; 104: 560-566
- Measuring and reporting errors in surgical pathology. Lessons from gynecologic cytology.Am J Clin Path. 2001; 115: 338-341
- Computerized display of past results: effects on outpatient testing.Ann Intern Med. 1987; 107: 569-574
- Delayed feedback of physician performance versus immediate reminders to perform preventative care.Med Care. 1986; 24: 659-666
- Hurtado M.P. Swift E.K. Corrigan J.M. Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century. Insititute of Medicine, Committee on the National Quality Report on Health Care Delivery. National Academy Press, Washington, DC2001
The Pennsylvania cancer alliance bioinformatics consortium (PCABC): a common web-based data entry and query tool for a statewide virtual biorepository. Available at: http://apiii.upmc.edu/abstracts/posterarchive/2003/patelash.html. Accessed October 4, 2004.
InterScope Technologies Inc. The fastest way to capture, view and manage slides. Available at: http://www.interscopetech.com. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- The 2 sigma problem: the search for methods of group instruction as effective as one-to-one tutoring.Educ Res. 1984; 13: 3-16
- A general architecture for intelligent tutoring of diagnostic classification problem solving.Proc AMIA Symp. 2003; : 185-189
- Development of visual diagnostic expertise in pathology—an information-processing study.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2003; 10: 39-51
- Development of visual diagnostic expertise in pathology.Proc AMIA Symp. 2001; : 125-129
Virtual slide. Course library. Available at: http://virtualslide.upmc.edu. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- The virtual slide set—a curriculum development system for digital microscopy.Proc AMIA Symp. 2003; : 846
- Information management: moving from test results to clinical information.Clin Leadersh Manag Rev. 2000; 14: 296-300
Department of pathology quality and healthcare research. Available at: http://path.upmc.edu/PathologyQuality/index.htm. Accessed October 4, 2004.
Advancing Practice, Instruction and Innovation through Informatics conference (APIII 2004). Available at: http://apiii.upmc.edu. Accessed October 4, 2004.
UPMC Center for Pathology Quality and Healthcare Research. Available at: http://path.upmc.edu/pqps. Accessed October 4, 2004.
General Archives. Available at: http://apiii.upmc.edu/live/index.html. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- Developing and deploying a patient safety program in a large health care delivery system: you can't fix what you don't know about.J Qual Improv. 2001; 27: 522-532
- Reducing the frequency of errors in medicine using information technology.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2001; 8: 299-308
- A national database of medical error.J R Soc Med. 1999; 92: 554-555
- Setting up a database of medical error in general practice: conceptual and methodological considerations.Br J Gen Pract. 2001; 51: 57-60
- Establishing and using a local/regional cardiac surgery database.Ann Thorac Surg. 1997; 64: 1245-1249
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons National Database: current status and future directions.Ann Thorac Surg. 1999; 68: 367-373
- NCCN outcomes research database: data collection via the Internet.Oncology. 2000; 14: 100-103
Patient Safety Project Information Site. Available at: http://patientsafety.upmc.edu. Accessed October 4, 2004.
- Informatics training in pathology residency programs: proposed learning objectives and skill sets for the new millennium.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2003; 127: 1009-1018
- Using the computer to optimize human performance in health care delivery.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1987; 111: 637-645
- The pathologist as information specialist.Hum Pathol. 1990; 21: 4-5
- Informatics as a separate section within a department of pathology.Am J Clin Pathol. 1990; 94: S2-S6
- Informatics: a subspecialty in pathology.Am J Clin Pathol. 1993; 100: 75-81
- Building an informatics training program for pathology.Semin Diag Pathol. 1994; 11: 237-244
- A pathologist is as a pathologist does: changing roles in a changing time.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1995; 119: 586-590
- Pathology informatics ensuring a role as a “bit” player in laboratory medicine.Am J Clin Pathol. 1996; 105: S1-S2
- Informatics and anatomic pathology: meeting challenges and charting the future.Hum Pathol. 2001; 32: 143-148
- Outcomes and pathology.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1997; 121: 1176-1182
- Cost effectiveness analysis in pathology.Clin Lab Med. 1999; 19: 757-771
This work is supported by grants from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality PA 00-111, Jewish Healthcare Foundation, Pittsburgh Regional Healthcare Initiative, and Shadyside Hospital Foundation, and a sponsored research agreement from Amgen. Dr. Becich is currently Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board of InterScope Technologies and is a founder with an equity stake in the company. The company produces a product that produces whole slide images. Other companies in the whole slide-imaging space include Aperio, Bacchus, MicroBrightfield, Trestle, and other overseas companies.