To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neutrophil and band counts in the diagnosis of neonatal infections.Pediatrics. 1974; 54: 38-42
- The usefulness of CRP and I/T ratio in early diagnosis of infections in Asian newborns.J Singapore Paediatr Soc. 1990; 32: 159-163
- Band neutrophil counts are unnecessary for the diagnosis of infection in patients with normal total leukocyte counts.Am J Clin Pathol. 1994; 102: 646-649
- Differential leukocyte count in acute gastroenteri tis: An aid to early diagnosis.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1983; 22: 356-358
- Pediatric Medicine. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1994 ed 2.
- Bacteremia and meningitis among infants with urinary tract infections.Pediatr Emerg Care. 1995; 11: 280-284
- Management of fever without source in infants and children.Ann Emerg Med. 2000; 36: 602-614
- Practice guideline for the management of infants and children 0 to 36 months of age with fever without source.in: Ann Emerg Med. 22. Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, 1993: 1198-1210
- Blood cultures in private pediatric practice: An eleven-year experience.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1989; 8: 2-7
- Predicting bacteremia in hospitalized patients: A prospectively validated model.Ann Intern Med. 1990; 113: 495-500
- Predicting bacteremia in patients with sepsis syndrome.in: J Infect Dis. 176. Academic Medical Center Consortium Sepsis Project Working Group, 1997: 1538-1551
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics. WB Saunders, Philadelphia2000 ed 16.
- Comparison of C-reactive protein and white blood cell count with differential in neonates at risk for septicaemia.Eur J Pediatr. 1995; 154: 138-144
- Fever in infants less than two months of age: Spectrum of disease and predictors of outcome.Pediatr Emerg Care. 1985; 1: 128-135
- Williams Hematology. McGraw-Hill, New York2001: ed 6
- Correlating CBC profile and infectious outcome: A study of febrile infants evaluated for sepsis.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1992; 31: 578-582
- Febrile infants less than eight weeks old: Predictors of infection.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1990; 29: 438-443
- Leukocyte counts in children with sickle cell disease: Comparative values in the steady state, vaso-occlusive crisis, and bacterial infection.Am J Dis Child. 1978; 132: 396-398
- The evaluation and treatment of the febrile infant.Pediatr Infect Dis. 1983; 2: 131-135
- Application of the Rochester Criteria in febrile neonates.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1998; 17: 267-269
- Identification of febrile neonates unlikely to have bacterial infections.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1997; 16: 59-63
- Expected hematologic values for term and preterm neonates.in: Christensen RD Hematologic Problems of the Neonate. ed 1. WB Saunders, Philadelphia2000: 117-136
- Hematologic alterations during acute infection in children with sickle cell disease.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1987; 6: 454-457
- First report.Am J Clin Pathol. 1948; 18: 443-450
- Evaluation of the CELL-DYN 3000 differential.Am J Clin Pathol. 1992; 98: 603-614
- Classifying segmented and band neutrophils.CAP Today. 1994; 8: 37-41
- Lack of reproducibility of band neutrophil identification despite the use of uniform identification criteria.Lab Hematol. 1995; 1: 89-96
- Evaluation of instrument flagging of left shift using College of American Pathologists reference band identification criteria.Lab Hematol. 1995; 2: 25-102
- Occult bacteremia in the emergency department: Diagnostic criteria for the young febrile child.Ann Emerg Med. 1985; 14: 1172-1177
- Identification of infants unlikely to have serious bacterial infection although hospitalized for suspected sepsis.J Pediatr. 1985; 107: 855-860
- Ambulatory care of febrile infants younger than 2 months of age classified as being at low risk for having serious bacterial infections.J Pediatr. 1988; 112: 355-360
- Scientific American Medicine. Scientific American, New York1997
- Diagnostic value of leukocyte indices in late neonatal sepsis.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1994; 13: 409-411
- Laboratory aid in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis: A blinded, prospective trial concerning diagnostic value of leukocyte count, neutrophil differential count, and C-reactive protein.Dis Colon Rectum. 1989; 32: 855-859
- Leukocyte differentials: Are they worth the effort?.Clin Lab Med. 1984; 4: 71-87
- Clinical and laboratory findings in acute appendicitis in the elderly.J Am Board Fam Pract. 1996; 9: 75-78
- Neonatal fever: Utility of the Rochester criteria in determining low risk for serious bacterial infections.Am J Emerg Med. 1997; 15: 299-302
- The differential leukocyte count in shigellosis.Infection. 1982; 10: 13-14
- Flow cytometric method for enumeration and classification of reactive immature granulocyte populations.Cytometry. 2000; 42: 371-378
- Glassy E Color Atlas of Hematology: An Illustrated Field Guide Based on Proficiency Testing. College of American Pathologists, Northfield, IL1998
- Goldman L Bennett JC ed 21. Cecil's Textbook of Medicine. WB Saunders, Philadelphia2000
- The absolute neutrophil count: Is it the best indicator for occult bacteremia in infants?.Am J Clin Pathol. 1998; 109: 221-225
- Changes in the differential white blood cell count in screening for group B streptococcal sepsis.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1990; 9: 886-889
- How to read a paper: Papers that report diagnostic or screening tests.BMJ. 1997; 315: 540-543
- Limitations in the usefulness of urine latex particle agglutination tests and hematologic measurements in diagnosing neonatal sepsis during the first week of life.J Perinatol. 1992; 12: 240-245
- The differential leukocyte count in adults with acute gastroenteritis.Scand J Infect Dis. 1992; 24: 205-207
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. McGraw-Hill Health Professions Division, New York1998 ed 14.
- Henry JB Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods. ed 20. WB Saunders, Philadelphia2001
- Primary Pediatric Care. Mosby, St. Louis2001 ed 4.
- Hoffman R Benz EJ Shattil SJ Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. ed 3. Churchill-Livingstone, New York2000
- Leukocyte differential.Mayo Clin Proc. 1993; 68: 1027-1028
- Appendicitis diagnosis today: Clinical and ultrasonic deductions.World J Surg. 1993; 17: 243-249
- Kelley's Textbook of Internal Medicine. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2000 ed 4.
- Predictors of bacteremia in febrile children 3 to 36 months of age.Pediatrics. 2000; 106: 977-982
- Users' guides to the medical literature. III. How to use an article about a diagnostic test.in: B. What are the results and will they help me in caring for my patients?JAMA. 271. The Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group, 1994: 703-707
- Febrile infants at low risk for serious bacterial infection: An appraisal of the Rochester criteria and implications for management.in: Pediatrics. 94. Febrile Infant Collaborative Study Group, 1994: 390-396
- Evaluation of fever in infants less than 8 weeks old.South Med J. 1987; 80: 948-952
- Comparison of five tests used in diagnosis of neonatal bacteraemia.Arch Dis Child. 1988; 63: 639-643
- The association of elevated percent bands on admission with failure and complications of interval appendectomy.J Pediatr Surg. 2001; 36: 165-168
- Role of the complete blood count in detecting occult focal bacterial infection in the young febrile child.J Clin Epidemiol. 1993; 46: 349-357
- The predictive value of CRP and I/T-ratio in neonatal infection.J Perinat Med. 1992; 20: 479-485
- Occult bacteremia in young febrile children.Pediatr Clin North Am. 1999; 46: 1073-1109
- Predictors of occult pneumococcal bacteremia in young febrile children.Ann Emerg Med. 1998; 31: 679-687
- Clinical and hematologic features do not reliably identify children with unsuspected meningococcal disease.Pediatrics. 1999; 103: E20
- Immature neutrophils in the blood smears of young febrile children.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999; 153: 261-266
- Risk of bacteremia for febrile young children in the post-Haemophilus influenzae type b era.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1998; 152: 624-628
- Lee GR Foerster J Lukens J Wintrobe's Clinical Hematology. ed 10. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1999
- Occult bacterial infection in adults with unexplained fever: Validation of a diagnostic index.Arch Intern Med. 1990; 150: 1270-1272
- Peripheral white blood cell counts and bacterial meningitis: Implications regarding diagnostic efficacy in febrile children.Pediatr Emerg Care. 1991; 7: 4-11
- Degenerative changes in neutrophils: An indicator of bacterial infection.Pediatrics. 1984; 74: 823-827
- Early detection of bacteremia in an outpatient clinic.Pediatrics. 1985; 75: 827-831
- Clinicopathologic characteristics of septicemia in sickle cell disease.Am J Dis Child. 1982; 136: 543-547
- The differential leukocyte count in the assessment and outcome of early-onset neonatal group B streptococcal disease.J Pediatr. 1977; 91: 632-637
- The neonatal blood count in health and disease. I. Reference values for neutrophilic cells.J Pediatr. 1979; 95: 89-98
- The assessment of laboratory tests in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis.Am J Clin Pathol. 1983; 80: 369-374
- Outpatient management of selected infants younger than two months of age evaluated for possible sepsis.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1990; 9: 385-389
- Hyperpyrexia in children: Eight-year emergency room experience.Am J Dis Child. 1976; 130: 849-851
- Clinical Laboratory Medicine. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1994
- Oski's Pediatrics: Principles and Practice. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia1999
- A simple index to identify occult bacterial infection in adults with acute unexplained fever.Arch Intern Med. 1987; 147: 666-671
- Laboratory Medicine: Hematology. CV Mosby, St. Louis1982 ed 6.
- WBC count and differential: Value in predicting bacterial diseases in children.Am J Dis Child. 1979; 133: 25-27
- Revised reference ranges for circulating neutrophils in very-low-birth-weight neonates.Pediatrics. 1994; 94: 76-82
- Nathan and Oski's Hematology of Infancy and Childhood. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1998 ed 5.
- H20-A: Reference Leukocyte Differential Count (Proportional) and Evaluation of Instrumental Methods; Approved Standard. NCCLS, Villanova, PA1992
- The beleaguered band count.Clin Lab Med. 1993; 13: 895-903
- Normal blood leukocyte concentration values.Am J Clin Pathol. 1970; 53: 647-651
- Use of hematologic data to evaluate infections in neonates.in: Christensen RD Hematologic Problems of the Neonate. ed 1. WB Saunders, Philadelphia2000: 389-403
- Early dexamethasone therapy and blood cell count in preterm infants.Pediatrics. 1999; 104 (3 pt 1): 476-481
- Degenerative changes in neutrophils as an indicator of neonatal sepsis.Zhonghua Min Guo Xiao Er Ke Yi Xue Hui Za Zhi. 1989; 30: 309-315
- Predicting bacteremia in older patients.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1995; 43: 230-235
- Detection of neonatal sepsis of late onset.JAMA. 1982; 247: 489-492
- Early diagnosis of neonatal sepsis.Pediatrics. 1980; 65: 1036-1041
- Laboratory tests in evaluation of acute febrile illness in pediatric emergency room patients.Am J Clin Pathol. 1997; 107: 114-121
- Predictive value of white blood cell count and differential cell count to bacterial infections in children.Acta Paediatr Scand. 1982; 71: 775-778
- Leukopenia, neutropenia, and reduced hemoglobin levels in healthy American blacks.Arch Intern Med. 1991; 151: 501-505
- Early diagnosis of neonatal sepsis using a hematologic scoring system.J Pediatr. 1988; 112: 761-767
- Hematologic scoring system in early diagnosis of sepsis in neutropenic newborns.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1993; 12: 372-376
- Rudolph's Pediatrics. Appleton & Lange, Stamford, CT1996 ed 20.
- The statistically expected variability in differential leukocyte counting.in: Koepke J Differential Leukocyte Counting. College of American Pathologists, Chicago1977
- Receiver operating characteristic curves for comparison of serial neutrophil band forms and C reactive protein in neonates at risk of infection.Arch Dis Child. 1992; 67 (7 spec no): 808-812
- Widmann's Clinical Interpretation of Laboratory Tests. Davis, Philadelphia2000 ed 11.
- Heterogeneity of common hematologic parameters among racial, ethnic, and gender subgroups.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1990; 114: 715-719
- Peripheral leukocyte count and leukocyte indexes in healthy newborn term infants.J Pediatr. 1994; 125: 603-606
- Differentiating vaso-occlusive crisis and infection in sickle cell anemia.J Fam Pract. 1981; 13: 752
- Diabetic ketoacidosis and infection: Leukocyte count and differential as early predictors of serious infection.Am J Emerg Med. 1987; 5: 1-5
- Textbook of Medicine. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1997 ed 3.
- Study of the usefulness of clinical and hematologic findings in the diagnosis of neonatal bacterial infections.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1981; 20: 385-392
- Internal Medicine. Mosby, St. Louis1998 ed 5.
- Predictors of acquiring a nosocomial bloodstream infection on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.J Pediatr Surg. 2001; 36: 487-492
- Reliability of criteria for predicting persistent or recurrent sepsis.Arch Surg. 1985; 120: 17-20
- Elastase alpha 1 proteinase inhibitor complex, granulocyte count, ratio of immature to total granulocyte count, and C-reactive protein in neonatal septicaemia.Eur J Pediatr. 1992; 151: 353-356
- Markers of severe appendicitis.Am Surg. 1999; 65: 453-455
- Clinical Guide to Laboratory Tests. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1995 ed 3.
- Childhood infections: Diagnostic value of peripheral white blood cell and differential cell counts.Am J Dis Child. 1974; 127: 810-816
- Interpretation of Diagnostic Tests. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia2000 ed 7.
- Utility of fever, white blood cells, and differential count in predicting bacterial infections in the elderly.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1989; 37: 537-543
- Oxford Textbook of Medicine. Oxford University Press, Oxford1996 ed 3.
- The H*1 hematology analyzer: Its performance characteristics and value in the diagnosis of infectious disease.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1987; 111: 521-524
- Manual differential cell counts help predict bacterial infection: A multivariate analysis.Am J Clin Pathol. 2001; 115: 644-649
- CBC or not CBC?.in: That is the question. Ann Emerg Med. 15. 1986: 367-371
© 2002 W.B. Saunders Company. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.